Volunteer plants

Reaction score
I have two volunteer plants in my yard that have bloomed this year. One is a pink crepe myrtle that showed up last year and even though it is still small has beautiful pinkish blooms on it. The other is a trumpet vine that started growing up the side of my house last year, and for some reason I never got around to pulling it out. This year it has three lovely orange blooms. I am leaving it as is because the blooms tend to attract humming birds.
Anyone else have any volunteers they have chosen to keep?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes:D A truly beautiful weed took over my lawn. I decided to keep it, because it looks very pretty and kind of unique. I've never been a big fan of regular lawns, they seem to boring to me.
You can see pictures of my new weed in Plant Identification section:)

Reaction score
Volunteer plants are something that I generally have quite an abundance of - unfortunately much as many of them are often very beautiful and much sought after in other parts of the World - as they are extremely invasive where I live they normally have to be got rid of long before they ever get the chance to actually become a plant - like for instance Fig Trees and Podranea Ricasoliana which because the latter can grow up to 50 ft or more a year and is capable of breaking up roads and damaging structures - there is always the constant battle of keeping it a bay - however pretty it looks.

There is however one volunteer plant that I do nurture and allow to grow and currently have three of them - even though these plants always choose to come up in the most awkward of places and that is this one

Caesalpinia Gilliesii or more commonly known as The Bird of Paradise Tree - which can be grown either a a shrub or small tree

Volunteer Plants - Caesalpinia Gilliesii- Shrub.jpg

Volunteer Plants - Caesalpinia Gilliesii - flower l.jpg

Volunteer Plants - Caesalpinia Gilliesii (1).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I also have some trumpet vine that is growing up on the side of the storage shed. It has grown there before, but I usually chopped it back, and this year, I let it grow. Now it also has some beautiful blossoms on it, and I think I will try and move some of the small ones that are coming up elsewhere in the yard, and see if they would maybe grow up along the side fence where it needs to be covered with something.
A few years back, I planted a few ivy starts in the back yard and those are also growing and spreading along the back fence, and even out into the yard. it is time for me to take some starts from those and put some along the fence in other places, and eventually, maybe I will have the old chain link covered with something green and pretty.

Reaction score
For several years I had a cardinal flower come up in a back garden that I didn't do much to because of shading. Generally it showed up in early August but one year it did not appear. This was disappointing because my dad loved waiting to see when it would show its self and that summer he died. Several weeks after he died the cardinal flower showed up late but it did in all of its glory.

Reaction score
About a year go i spotted an orchid growing in the trunk of my coconut tree; i gently removed t and my hubby got it potted and since then it has being thriving beautifully.

Ask a Question