"Volunteer" bushes. Do you get them?

Reaction score
"Volunteer" is what I call them. My neighbor has several Crepe Myrtles in his yard. I have Rose of Sharons in my yard. This year a Crepe Myrtle started growing in my yard, and a Rose of Sharon started growing in his yard.
Any idea how this could happen? And do you get "volunteers"?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bird or the wind may have taken seeds from the two plants into the repectful yard and the seed took hold and started to grow. I have not had that happen yet and "volunteer" sounds like a great name. Surprise visitor is a good one also.

Reaction score
We used to get tons of "volunteers." The neighbor's cacti as well as something that seems to spread fast and kill everything in its wake. I don't know what it was. Wish I had a picture. A single leaf on a long stem with a root that was a horrible pain to pull up. The larger ones could grow up to 5-6 feet tall if you did not uproot them and if we let them get too large we had to use the truck to pull the roots out of the ground!:eek:

Ask a Question