View from my kitchen window

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That's Ben. He likes to walk round the garden with me. His twin, Bill, is usually not far away either. I think on that occasion he was still swinging on the Swing Seat, something he adores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Owdboggy, you have beautiful view! I love those stones and flowers. They look really lovely. As for your cat, he's super adorable:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Occasionally, during the winter, we get another view from our kitchen window--wildlife!
pasture coyote.jpg
A coyote will pass through the pasture, looking for voles and field mice. As long as the coyote stays in the pasture and stays away from the barn, we just enjoy the wildlife passing through. If the coyote starts heading for either the yard or the barn, we fire a shot over its head. The coyote doesn't know I couldn't hit the barn, much less him, with my pistol, but he is learning to stay near the pond and away from our hens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen a coyote in person. Are they dangerous? The one in your picture looks almost like a wolf, I'd be terrified if it lived near my house.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Claudine, coyotes aren't dangerous unless they are rabid, which is very rare. They are great vermin catchers and generally stay away from humans and human habitations. Their habitat is shrinking, so they are closer to people than before, but still avoid us as much as possible. We don't have wolves in central Texas, but some have been sighted in other parts of the state.
Owdboggy, we have foxes, but they are rarely seen. Sandy Creek is near us, and fox have been seen there. We don't have any four-footers in or near our gardens except for stray dogs and feral cats.
Zigs, is that a red fox? We don't have them, but I've seen pictures.
We try to live with wildlife as much as we can, while protecting our chickens and gardens. So far we have fought each other to a draw!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs, is that a red fox? We don't have them, but I've seen pictures.

Just plain old Fox :)

It's our biggest native predator, not usually dangerous, although one of the urban ones tried to drag a baby out of the house a few years back:eek:

I talk to the one in the picture, he stops and listens :D

Sun's just gone down here

DSCN0758.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
May 038.jpg

We get some lovely sunrises and sunsets. This is a sunset over to the west of our pasture. When it starts to get dark, I know it's time to go get the hens in, but sometimes I just stand and enjoy the view.
Zigs, your sunset is more subtle, but just as lovely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Marlingardener - thank you for the information. I won't be scared of coyotes then:)
Zigs - It's a cute fox! I saw one in my area too. It ran away when it saw me. I guess I look dangerous to foxes:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Marlingardener - thank you for the information. I won't be scared of coyotes then:)
Zigs - It's a cute fox! I saw one in my area too. It ran away when it saw me. I guess I look dangerous to foxes:p

We get a lot of them in the towns now, one actually sits when its told to and waits for sausages :D No idea how it learned that.

Ask a Question