Very noisy DVD player.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick thread regarding our very noisy smart blue ray DVD player we bought a few years ago. This player has progressively become worse whilst playing discs; sometimes it would be quiet other times making an awful racket and we assumed it to be the player at fault.

I decided to either fix or destroy it because it was so annoying and what a surprise; with the player running making lots of racket I moved it around to find suddenly I could silence it allowing the movie to be played in peace; the four small feet were transmitting vibration into the table making the table like a drum; to think we suffered this for so long. I folded a towel into four and supported the player on this curing the unwanted noise but then it occurred to me there might be ventilation vents on the underside of the player and sure enough when I checked there are vents so the towel would be blocking these with an high risk of overheating the player?

I needed a solution so looking around the workshop I wondered if short lengths of 15mm pipe foam insulation would insulate the player from the table so I cut four "feet" using the bandsaw and inserted these under the player. Problem now 100% solved at no cost.

Here's a couple of pictures showing the new feet in position. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00173.JPG
DSC00174.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Upsy Daisy; alp & Licenter. (y)

Definitely no duct tape used Licenter; I don't even own a roll of duct tape. ;) :D

Sometimes the simplest things give most pleasure. :):):)

Pity I can't fix this dire weather as easily.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Here's another little problem I solved Upsy Daisy this time for our very good neighbours Terry & Pauline. They have a driveway to the front of their house to the right drops a flight of stone steps with a wrought iron railing separating the two. The end metal post had rotted at ground level and it being let into the tarmac onto a solid concrete base it wasn't going to be easy to replace this post so I came up with the idea of making a "dog's leg" support this being suitably cranked then it could be bolted into the retaining wall above the steps?

I've always got plenty of offcuts in the workshop and an old scrap up and over garage door actuating arm supplied just the right metal with a bit of cutting and welding together with another thinner offcut. It didn't take long to make this and I painted it before installing it; I drilled through the original steel post securing the new support with nuts & Bolts then drilled into the wall securing the lot using two wall anchors; job done and it should last many years being much stronger than the original post.

I'm often involved in helping neighbours out and every job is different; I don't mind because it keeps my head and hands busy whilst costing very little. I don't need much by way of excuse to play with my toys. :)(y)

I'm grounded because we have a friend due to visit us very shortly.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSCN2088.JPG
DSCN2089.JPG
DSCN2091.JPG
DSCN2092.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick thread regarding our very noisy smart blue ray DVD player we bought a few years ago. This player has progressively become worse whilst playing discs; sometimes it would be quiet other times making an awful racket and we assumed it to be the player at fault.

I decided to either fix or destroy it because it was so annoying and what a surprise; with the player running making lots of racket I moved it around to find suddenly I could silence it allowing the movie to be played in peace; the four small feet were transmitting vibration into the table making the table like a drum; to think we suffered this for so long. I folded a towel into four and supported the player on this curing the unwanted noise but then it occurred to me there might be ventilation vents on the underside of the player and sure enough when I checked there are vents so the towel would be blocking these with an high risk of overheating the player?

I needed a solution so looking around the workshop I wondered if short lengths of 15mm pipe foam insulation would insulate the player from the table so I cut four "feet" using the bandsaw and inserted these under the player. Problem now 100% solved at no cost.

Here's a couple of pictures showing the new feet in position. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 31064 View attachment 31065
Hubby always put foam disks under the seperate parts of the sound system so that they won't vibrate. The speakers are on stands with spikes underneath to go into the carpet, to give them more stability.

Attachments

• IMG_20180107_091459.jpg
    IMG_20180107_091459.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 302

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Logan for your interesting reply. (y)

As with just about everything once the answer is known it's then simple; I've run disc players like DVD; CD and Walkman for over 18 years without problems so I got badly caught out with the Smart Blu Ray player never suspecting it could be something else other than the actual player; pity I took so long though to catch on what was happening; the player is now performing perfectly.

For the last 55 years since leaving school I've been hyperactive but these last few weeks I've been easing right back not doing any heavy jobs due mostly to our bad weather; the weather has always slowed me down but never stopped me previously; I'm on top of the bungalow and am now well advanced in the gardens ready for springtime; I've even dodged a job for our lovely neighbour Carole; Carole has just bought a vintage Singer treadle sewing machine in a fancy veneered wooden cabinet; Carole drove a round trip of 540 miles to collect this machine and I thought it surely must be something special.

I helped Carole unload the machine from her car then I dragged it up her pathway steps right into her front room it being heavy using a sack cart. This machine is badly abused with many deep scratches to its top surfaces; a bit of veneer is missing but the plywood base is delaminating due to being somewhere damp; it's not had a friendly cloth wiped over it for years and the shuttle and spool were rattling around in the cabinet base; in short I think it's a basket case restoration job. I've fully restored over 100 vintage radio cabinets involving veneering and french polishing but enough is enough; I'm now keeping my head down because there's a months work in this cabinet alone to bring it back to as new and that's even without looking at its mechanics which I'm sure will be in similar condition to the cabinet.

I've dropped myself in for lots of such jobs over the years usually starting with a simple request for me to "just have a look". This year is going to be different for Bron and I we're going to now enjoy our retirement doing what we want to do for a change without being dragged into doing favours for others. This must be the first Sunday morning I've ever sat and watched a DVD movie with Bron; this is the movie and although we've played it a number of times previously we still enjoyed watching it again;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102598/

Because I have many practical skills and a fully equipped workshop I find I'm being held responsible for everyone's jobs they care to throw my way. A couple of years ago our neighbours across the street asked if I would kindly water all their planters to which I agreed for two weeks whilst they were enjoying themselves on a carefree foreign holiday; their water was turned off so I ended up carrying two 14L watering cans at a time doing a number of trips involving 14 steps down into their front garden; upon their return home they never even had the decency to thank me; a year ago they moved and the new neighbours can now take full responsibility; I'm learning to use a new word "NO". What is strange is that my constant cloud Blackie must have gone on holiday too.

It's white over with frost so I'm passing a bit of my retirement on the keyboard. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you should take it easy now with Bron. That looks like a good film. Never get a chance to watch one, got lots of DVD's and Blu-ray. Hubby always falls asleep. I'll watch something if i really want to. Like to watch documentorys of wildlife. Just watched one that's been filmed about the Wye valley, it's on my programmes to watch thread. But it was on yesterday. Have you got iPlayer?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan. Yes we've got iPlayer but very seldom use it because there's so little of interest on normal TV; Bron and I are virtually 100% YouTube regarding our viewing; I hook the computer up to the TV then we can choose what we watch. Adverts are now becoming a pest on YouTube.

Have you watched the TV series Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth Logan?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112130/

A few years ago I copied to DVD/CD about 1,000 movies; TV series and music videos; we have Pride & Prejudice each episode on a separate DVD and we've just watched these again never becoming bored with them; there are many excellent TV series but Pride & Prejudice remains my favourite. I also copied the Keira Knightley version but I don't rate it at all;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_&_Prejudice_(2005_film)

If I can't latch onto a movie then I'm like your husband Logan and start to doze off but strangely music videos tend to keep me awake possibly due to their variation retaining my interest?

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question