Lemon tree not very pretty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My lemon tree is about 6 years old, and has never really produced a good amount of fruit. I'm hoping that the new year, after what I hope is a rainy season, things will be different. At the moment, the tree is getting very leggy, and many of the inner leaves are turning yellow. Any advice, please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A picture would be a big help but if it is getting leggy it isn't getting enough sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
A picture would be a big help but if it is getting leggy it isn't getting enough sunlight.
Chuck, my tree gets as much sun as San Francisco can manage. It has a southern exposure, and my next door neighbor has a magnificent lemon tree. I fed it recently, and I water about once a week.
Thanks for your response.
20181004_161049.jpg
20181004_161111.jpg
20181004_161111.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, my tree gets as much sun as San Francisco can manage. It has a southern exposure, and my next door neighbor has a magnificent lemon tree. I fed it recently, and I water about once a week.
Thanks for your response.View attachment 45959 View attachment 45960 View attachment 45960
That tree isn't leggy. That is normal growth. It does seem a bit chlorotic or yellowish which is a nutrition problem, usually a lack of nitrogen or iron. I would supplement more iron as you have already added nitrogen during your recent fertilization. I would also start a foliar and root drench regimine with liquid seaweed. You might be lacking in other trace elements that regular fertilizer doesn't address.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Just want you to know that I've taken your suggestion about the liquid seaweed, and I think I can see some improvement. So thanks. Would you please let me know how to provide more iron to the tree; is there a supplement I can purchase??
janice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just want you to know that I've taken your suggestion about the liquid seaweed, and I think I can see some improvement. So thanks. Would you please let me know how to provide more iron to the tree; is there a supplement I can purchase??
janice
There are products and most are organic. It is called Chelated Iron or Iron Chelate. Good stuff. BTW I used to have a stove exactly like yours but it was killed in a flood or I would still have it. Its name was Stove.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Chuck, I am writing to say thank you. I.ve continued taking care of my tree and utilizing the supplements you suggested. I am well pleased. You can't really see the number of flowers in the photo, but trust me, there are hundreds.
Also, I'm sorry you lost your stove in a flood. My stove's name is Reginald.....I don't have a reason.
20190403_110103.jpg

Ask a Question