Using pond debris as mulch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Our fish-less 2300 gallon garden pond will soon have its spring cleaning. I'm considering using the pond debris (leaves, decomposed leaves, trigs, algae) as mulch in one of the shady backyard flower beds. What do you think of this idea?

Reaction score
A few years back, I dug a small pond in a low swampy area. I took the black muck (which is several feet thick) which was all decomposed leaves, dead trees etc for many years. Actually it was wet land. And I put 2-3 inches of it in a area where I wanted to start a new lawn. I seeded it and the grass came up and reached about 1 inch tall, then it just died. Don't know why. Maybe that watered down compost is just dead soil with no nutrients to sustain plant growth. If anyone can tell me why I'd love to hear.

I didn't mix in any old dirt/topsoil. Solid muck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Our fish-less 2300 gallon garden pond will soon have its spring cleaning. I'm considering using the pond debris (leaves, decomposed leaves, trigs, algae) as mulch in one of the shady backyard flower beds. What do you think of this idea?

I would worry about high acid content, and the ability to not let air through. Mix it up good with some other medium, and add a little lime, and you just might have something there.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would follow "Licenter" suggestions. You don't know what is in the water add a little lime to kill what maybe growing in their.

Ask a Question