Unusual things found in your garden/property

Jed

Reaction score
zigs I thought the UK was littered with artifacts and buried treasure. I guess though the 20th century will make it's mark with discarded packaging. You'll be buying it online before you know it.
Fingers in mortar? Was this a bone or did someone lose it and just kept on concreting?
Such a sad history sissy. Even in death they are not given respect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Indians were every were around the water ways in Arkansas
are next farm neighbor had dirt pans level a 60 field acre adjoining us
They ended up stopping him for a while and the university came out and mapped a Indian village out on the site
They couldn't keep my wife and i from watching
you could see were they had posts in the ground for teepee's , burn pits , burials , pottery
Bones and pottery are part of are dirt

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You have no Roman coins or artifacts zigs. I thought in the UK you could find them readily. I love watching the Time Team even the repeats.

I got one Roman coin Jed & a piece of Bronze age pottery that I confuse archaeologists with:D

I find some flint tools from the middle stone age too, things like broken arrow heads & tools for making holes in leather, but mostly just chippings from making the tools.

You often see Roman bricks re used in later buildings

whitchurch005.jpg

There are some in the porch wall of this church at Whitchurch Canonicorum in Dorset.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
my son in i had to run a water line up into a cemetery early fall this year in town
we hit a spot with the trencher arrow heads and chips came up like a pop corn Popper

Reaction score
While digging over my garden when I first bought the place, I found numerous rusty nails, and a big penny from 1906:)

Jests aside, just a few miles down the coast from me there is a cliff. Like most cliffs, its been there for a very long time (Huntcliff, Saltburn, Cleveland if anyone wants to look it up). Like many coastal cliffs, it is not unusual for bits to fall off from time to time. On one such larger fall, lots of 'artefacts' became exposed. It turns out there was a very significant Saxon settlement and fortification there and until one of the larger landslides, nobody knew.

Jed

Reaction score
I find archaeology fascinating. If I had my time over again I reckon I would have been one of those patient students and archaeologists dusting off the dirt with a small brush in trenches all around the world.
Arrow heads are quite something. They were made for one thing in mind. To hunt or as a weapon..
Before there was an interest in past eras many structures and remains must have been wiped away. Such as those Roman bricks. How many building foundations are just remnants of past eras?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
zigs I thought the UK was littered with artifacts and buried treasure. I guess though the 20th century will make it's mark with discarded packaging. You'll be buying it online before you know it.
Fingers in mortar? Was this a bone or did someone lose it and just kept on concreting?
Such a sad history sissy. Even in death they are not given respect.

I missed this post Jed, sorry.

Hambridge, where I live now is unusual, it just hadn't been settled before, probably as it became an island most winters before the surrounding levels were drained, you probably saw the floods thread I put up.

In other places the archaeolgy goes down a long way, i've found allsorts in other parts, musket balls, grape shot, medieval tokens, coinage, clay marbles, victorian bottles & pots etc.

The finger bone was probably disturbed during previous floor works, human bones are much yellower than animal bones, as we carry on drinking milk thru adulthood.

I go metal detecting when I get the chance, i'll try to attach a pendant I found:)

Attachments

• pendant.jpg
    pendant.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
I've never found ancient artifacts near my apartment. There's a school nearby, so I've found a Batman action figure in my front yard and a Han Solo action figure.
No one claimed them so my daughter has them in her action figure collection.

It seems like everything in Miami is relatively new , not many 200 year old houses here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It looks like there are a lot of things to be found, one just has to look ! We are living in a trailer on this property, but there used to be an old farmhouse that burned down, and the barn and well house are still standing. We just got a cheap little metal detector, and want to check around where the house used to be, and hopefully, there will be something interesting around there. Some old money would be awesome, but I guess whatever turns up would at least be fun to discover.

Reaction score
It looks like there are a lot of things to be found, one just has to look ! We are living in a trailer on this property, but there used to be an old farmhouse that burned down, and the barn and well house are still standing. We just got a cheap little metal detector, and want to check around where the house used to be, and hopefully, there will be something interesting around there. Some old money would be awesome, but I guess whatever turns up would at least be fun to discover.

That's pretty cool. If you find any old relics of the farmhouse, there are people who collect antique farm stuff and you can probably sell it online.
I've seen old farm tools sell for a crazy amount on eBay.

Reaction score
Someone left a realistic resin statue of a tortoise on the asphalt in the alley behind our apartment building. At first I thought it was a real turtle because we live a few yards away from a canal that has live turtles swimming in it. It was a cool looking random discarded object and kind of adorable. It looks like that famous viral video of a small turtle eating a cherry tomato. My daughter wanted the little turtle figure ,so we took it home. It kind of looks like this one.

45a405f4212c6f14b67fbed3b2122431.jpg

Reaction score
Well, a while ago while we were doing some digging in a area that hadn't been touched in decades... we found so weird looking lamp. lol. I think it's somewhere, it looked really weird. Not the kind of things you'd expect to see around here. I guess this was a really antique saucer or something like that. This area where we live in wasn't inhabited some decades ago.

Reaction score
I can not recall finding anything cool in the ground in any of my gardens. I found a piece of what I think is a meteorite near an old fishing hole, though. My pawpaw found all kinds of stuff in his garden! Rings, wheat pennies, skeleton keys and a few mason jars filled with old change. He use to throw it all in a top dresser drawer and I thought it was a treasure chest when I was small. I still have a few of the skeleton keys.

Reaction score
Has anyone found unusual objects or surprises on their property. Flints, arrow heads, Roman coins,Ming vases,:) even unusually rocks or pieces of wood? Share them with us.

I was cutting a small log length-ways with a chainsaw to make slabs of wood for trugs which are wooden basket to carry plants and vegetables and came across this very unusual picture of a naked women inside the log.
It has not been tampered with whatsoever, not even sandpapered, they are all natural markings from inside the tree.:confused:
I saw the abstract and sensual form of a naked woman in it - what did your wife think about it? Wood is wonderful in that it makes its own designs and images that are beautiful in their own right.
390759_2674480707584_1152026238_n.jpg
I saw the abstract and sensual form of a naked woman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Someone left a realistic resin statue of a tortoise on the asphalt in the alley behind our apartment building. At first I thought it was a real turtle because we live a few yards away from a canal that has live turtles swimming in it. It was a cool looking random discarded object and kind of adorable. It looks like that famous viral video of a small turtle eating a cherry tomato. My daughter wanted the little turtle figure ,so we took it home. It kind of looks like this one.

45a405f4212c6f14b67fbed3b2122431.jpg
This figure is kind of cute! It looks very realistic.
My mother once found a turtle in her garden. It was a turtle that had gotten lost many years before. Unfortunately, it was dead:cry:

Ask a Question