Unusual things found in your garden/property

Jed

Reaction score
Has anyone found unusual objects or surprises on their property. Flints, arrow heads, Roman coins,Ming vases,:) even unusually rocks or pieces of wood? Share them with us.

I was cutting a small log length-ways with a chainsaw to make slabs of wood for trugs which are wooden basket to carry plants and vegetables and came across this very unusual picture of a naked women inside the log.
It has not been tampered with whatsoever, not even sandpapered, they are all natural markings from inside the tree.:confused:

390759_2674480707584_1152026238_n.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey Jed,

You could start a religion with that one:D

Glad to hear you are ok. How are the Bush fires?

Jed

Reaction score
Blimey Jed,
You could start a religion with that one:D
Perhaps I'll start the
The Church of Wood Nymphs.
images

One or two bush fires are still burning. The one north of me has not yet been contained and is still being water bombed.

You have no Roman coins or artifacts zigs. I thought in the UK you could find them readily. I love watching the Time Team even the repeats.

Reaction score
Jed, now that is a great find.. did you tell your wife about the naked woman in the wood work? LOL Nature is really natural :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 2 rocks in my my yard that i found around a rock quarrie both are end table size
They are both dense sea floor life, small shells and wiggly sea life stuff
I have read that Arkansas was in the ocean at one point in time i don't know why else they would be up here

Reaction score
When my family lived in South Carolina, near the mountains, we found arrowheads and many beautiful rocks and crystals. Here in Florida I have found things like railroad ties and shells (I was in the middle of the state and not near the ocean!). I'm a little closer to North Florida now and recently found an old metal hole punch in my current yard, perhaps it was for leather or something. It looks about a hundred years old and is very heavy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jed, when I look at it, I see a baby dinosaur with its head on the left and with two legs:p
A century ago there was a landfill in a place where my parents have their garden. When I was a child, I was digging deep holes and I was able to find old porcelain figurines (all broken) and other stuff. It was so much fun!

Jed

Reaction score
Jed, now that is a great find.. did you tell your wife about the naked woman in the wood work? LOL Nature is really natural :)
She now has place of honour on our back porch wall.
There's definitely some interesting finds out there. Figurines,old leather tools arrow heads, crystals, fossils far from the sea. Our gardens have many interesting stories. I'm sure there are more to tell us about. Any skeletons?:eek: Gold perhaps?:)
I remember another one. When I rented a house on very a large parcel of land adjacent to the sea there was an old World War II un-exploded bomb sticking out of the ground. The area had been used as a practice bombing range in days gone by. Some years later when the area was opened up for redevelopment, the government had to clear the area of these types of bombs and ammunition.:eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, wouldn't want to be digging one of those up Jed:eek:

Apart from some mid 20th century bottle tops & coins there is no archaeology in my garden. There simply wasn't anything there before the 1920's. Unusual for the UK.

At work though its a different story, I used to work on Churches, Castles & Listed buildings. Always finding bits of people, pottery etc.

Found a Chi Rho inscribed under a flooring slab in one church, a secret christian sign from when christianity was illegal.

Lots of people get burried actually in the churches so its not uncommon to find bits of skeleton when working on the floors, here's someones finger that got bedded in some victorian mortar.

ilfracombe002.jpg

Reaction score
Blimey, wouldn't want to be digging one of those up Jed:eek:

Apart from some mid 20th century bottle tops & coins there is no archaeology in my garden. There simply wasn't anything there before the 1920's. Unusual for the UK.

At work though its a different story, I used to work on Churches, Castles & Listed buildings. Always finding bits of people, pottery etc.

Found a Chi Rho inscribed under a flooring slab in one church, a secret christian sign from when christianity was illegal.

Lots of people get burried actually in the churches so its not uncommon to find bits of skeleton when working on the floors, here's someones finger that got bedded in some victorian mortar.
Zigs you freak me out.

All I found in my fathers yard was bones my dogs had hidden :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
All in a days work:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
here in VA I have seen several slave grave yards and also found one that scared me as it was a slave grave for slaves that were considered evil and the tell you not to enter or take pics because you can take the evil with you .I wounder though if they were evil or if there owners just marked them that way to get rid of bad slaves that would not follow rules .But not taking any chances .I had never heard of these places before I retired to VA .sad places though and sad to know that people were treated that way .

Ask a Question