Unigrow potting soil in raised garden bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year i got some Unigro potting soil, well the plants didn't do well at all. My guess is in those kind of planters the self watering planting mix is best. Anyway. i want to put this soil from these self watering planters in my big long raised planting bed. Can i do this? Or will they have microorganisms from the soil that wont be good mixed in the bed? Its wet from our one night of rain this week.

Oh btw the soil im putting it in needs to be raised up anyway and added to because some of whats there has clay in it.

thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is listed on the bag as the contents of this stuff? Any active ingredients-additives?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Uni-Gro® Potting Soil

is a special blend of forest products, peat moss,

vermiculite, pumice, bone meal, blood meal,

cottonseed meal, alfalfa meal and earthworm castings.

This pH balanced potting soil contains all the rich organic ingredients your plants desire and is ideal for

container gardening

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 bags of greenall soil booster(Contains Fir bark, chicken manure, composted mushroom soil, earthworm castings, volcanic pumice stone, bat guano, kelp meal and feather meal,) i was going to add the the garden bed as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Uni-Gro® Potting Soil

is a special blend of forest products, peat moss,

vermiculite, pumice, bone meal, blood meal,

cottonseed meal, alfalfa meal and earthworm castings.

This pH balanced potting soil contains all the rich organic ingredients your plants desire and is ideal for

container gardening
If that is all that is in it I would like to have a bunch of it myself, used or not. Sounds like good stuff. Never heard of it down here though

Reaction score
Country
United States
If that is all that is in it I would like to have a bunch of it myself, used or not. Sounds like good stuff. Never heard of it down here though
my concern is the soil may have diseases from using it last year. I noticed when i took it out of the planter there was some white stuff on it. 1 container had had a bell pepper that never grew and died, another cucumber that did well and another zucchini that didn't produce well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
my concern is the soil may have diseases from using it last year. I noticed when i took it out of the planter there was some white stuff on it. 1 container had had a bell pepper that never grew and died, another cucumber that did well and another zucchini that didn't produce well.
Knowing this changes everything. Throw it away and take no chances

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The soil may not be good to use as it is. When I do use soil that has been in another pot I bake it in the oven to kill what maybe still living in the soil, it sinks and it does remove most of the good stuff along with the bad stuff, so it maybe just as easy to throw it out and start over.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The soil may not be good to use as it is. When I do use soil that has been in another pot I bake it in the oven to kill what maybe still living in the soil, it sinks and it does remove most of the good stuff along with the bad stuff, so it maybe just as easy to throw it out and start over.

Could you not put the soil in a container in the sun for awhile? The extra heat could bake off bad stuff without killing all the good stuff.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Putting the soil in the sounds like a good idea and may work, I read some place to bake the soil to kill off any disease that maybe in the soil.

Ask a Question