Repotting magnolia - when ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was gifted a magnolia last year. It’s now about 4 feet tall. It currently has furry buds. Can I move it into a new bigger pot just now or should I wait until another time of the year and if so when ? Thanks so much
Jill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I don’t know ! But I seem to guess it’s some sort of white star one ? Does that mean anything ? It was from a neighbour who moved and she didn’t tell me. A friend guessed it was white star. If such a thing exists. Not sure if photo below helps or not

Attachments

• 8BEE0ED2-CB6A-4E9C-A72F-3CEEAFB6FF29.jpeg
    8BEE0ED2-CB6A-4E9C-A72F-3CEEAFB6FF29.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm thinking Spring is the best time to re pot, are you keeping it in a pot or will eventually plant it in the ground?
I have several Magnolia Ann and a few Magnolia Jane, I moved them over and over when they were little, in search of the perfect spot for them, and they never even slowed down growing, so I'm thinking Magnolias aren't fussy plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Unfortunately I don’t know ! But I seem to guess it’s some sort of white star one ? Does that mean anything ? It was from a neighbour who moved and she didn’t tell me. A friend guessed it was white star. If such a thing exists. Not sure if photo below helps or not

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure the variety will make a difference as there are several times of magnolia. Some remain relatively small while some like the southern magnolia are large trees.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could be a Stellata x ??

Ask a Question