Repotting Tomatoes - Should I trim roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, thanks for the help in advance.

I just purchased a Bush Goliath Tomato plant, and want to re-pot it. My problem is, some of the root is sticking out of the pot (very small amount), and I am wondering should I trim those roots ? What would be the effect of that ? Would it temporarily stunt growth ?

I'd rather not cut the pot open, which I could easily do since it's plastic, but, at the same time, I can't afford a stunt in growth since I also plan to clone it's main sucker, and plus it's already mid-june... If the stunt is merely days, than I can live with that, but, anything longer would not be ideal for me.

What would you suggest be the best option? Trim roots, or destroy the pot ?

Attachments

• 20160618_203707.jpg
    20160618_203707.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Defonitely cut the pot away. Do not trim the roots!! Those plastic pots are supposed to be disposable. That is why they are plastic. ;)

Plant your tomato baby deep, covering the lower leaves and stem. That will encourage deep strong roots, which is what you want for a healrhy productive plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Defonitely cut the pot away. Do not trim the roots!! Those plastic pots are supposed to be disposable. That is why they are plastic. ;)

Plant your tomato baby deep, covering the lower leaves and stem. That will encourage deep strong roots, which is what you want for a healrhy productive plant.

Thank you for your kind advice! I will go ahead and cut the pot away! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Montray, this is off-topic, but if you want more pots, ask a nursery if they have any throw-aways, or check the Master Gardeners in your area, who often have a "pot dump" where you can deposit or retrieve pots of many sizes. Landscapers also have pots, but you have to catch them at the right time, just after they do a landscape, or the pots go to the municipal dump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Montray, this is off-topic, but if you want more pots, ask a nursery if they have any throw-aways, or check the Master Gardeners in your area, who often have a "pot dump" where you can deposit or retrieve pots of many sizes. Landscapers also have pots, but you have to catch them at the right time, just after they do a landscape, or the pots go to the municipal dump.

Awesome!! I did not think of that !

I really appreciate the tip . The pots in my area are getting a bit expensive -- that or I am just looking in the wrong place.

:) Cheers!

Ask a Question