Ugly gardens,tacky garden art and garden "fails"

Reaction score
Wow, there are some pretty amusing tastes when it comes to yard art!
images

How about toilet planters? Who in their right mind thinks putting a toilet in their yard is a great idea? I posted the cuter picture of a toilet planter, but it is still rather gross. What do you think?

I dunno about a toiler with a gnome on it, but I picked up a pretty blue toilet and brought it home for a flower planter one time (my wife was with me when I got it). I accidentally knocked it over in the garage and broke it before I got it outside, though. I just think it's a funny idea.

Otherall the thought behind this thread makes me laugh because I also post on a weight lifting forum, and one of the most popular threads there is the "gym idiot" thread. In that thread one time, the question came up of whether other forums have the equivilent of the gym idiot thread. Apparently gardening-forums.com does. :)

Reaction score
I really don't like plastic Santas because they're not only ugly, but they also remind me of Christmas:confused:

Look what I found, I don't even know how to call it. I guess it was supposed to be a statue:eek::

installation-small.jpg

That's pretty gross. It looks like someone painted a random pile of trash red. I understand that art is subjective but it doesn't look like this person put any effort into this piece at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
to each his or her own .no yarden is ever ugly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not as tolerant as you, Sissy. In my opinion some garden decorations are more than hideous. What I don't like the most are toilet planters. Call me a traditionalist, but I wouldn't want to see a toilet seat in my garden, between rose bushes;)

Here is a picture of a funny gnome:

img_0553.jpg

Reaction score
Here is a planter I found at the local thrift store. I had to buy it for a buck, so I could show it off! It is kind of funny, whimsical, and ugly! I love the fact that whoever made it added the tail, too. I might grow catnip in it, who knows?

Attachments

• catplanter2.jpg
    catplanter2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 481
Reaction score
Mariam - I have to say it really is rather comical looking - but that I also quite like it because although a little strange I think its kind of cute.
However - am not sure how your cats would react - have they met it yet ?
If not - it might be a good idea to introduce them to it first, before planting it with catnip - as otherwise you might find that on their first encounter with a large black cat with purple ears and a stick on tail - it totally freaks them out - but then on the hand - they may just take it in their stride and think they have been overindulging in catnip and that its quite normal to see a large black with purple ears, hovering over them whilst they munch pleasurably away at their catnip lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, it's kind of cute! My dog would get so angry if he saw it, he hates cats;) Unlike him, I've always loved them. Cats are adorable:) This planter is so detailed, I like its little paws:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, I wonder what my neighbors would think if I put gnomes number 3 and 7 in my garden. They don't look too friendly:p
Lol, look at this:LOL::

gnome-be-gone.jpg

Reaction score
My cats have not met the cat planter, yet. They were off the porch when I took the pic. I am not sure how they will react, once I plant something in it. They will probably just be curious, and swat the tail of the planter. I like the gnome man being carried off! That is too funny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know, it's funny, but it's also kind of scary, these little "monsters" that are stealing the gnome look so weird!:p
Keep us posted, Mariam, I'm really curious what your cats will do when they see the new planter;)

Reaction score
My cats have not met the cat planter, yet. They were off the porch when I took the pic. I am not sure how they will react, once I plant something in it. They will probably just be curious, and swat the tail of the planter. I like the gnome man being carried off! That is too funny.

I'm thinking that you should definitely have a camera handy when you do introduce them - especially as my cats always give me plenty of " Kodak moments " whenever they encounter something like your cat pot , even their own reflections can give them a fright at times and its always extremely comical to watch them with their wide circling, arched backs and stalking antics - so hopefully you will have some funny photos for us soon - we'd really love to see them :D

claudine - that gnome and those weird creatures are truly odd but funny too :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've always hated garden gnomes:p

Here is something funny, a duck-shaped shrub:

100_9398.jpg

How do you feel about it? Personally, I find it tacky:eek:

Reaction score
Its an improvement on the gnomes Claudine - which like you I truly hate - but have to say even though the duck looks well cared for - it does look really rather funny - especially with the wire fence around it o_O one thing for sure is that its certainly a weird looking thing.

Ask a Question