My Ugly Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, i need some advice on my garden. Picture attached shows how awful my lawn is, i have had 3 people look at it and have given suggestions

1. A gardener said he would dig up all the old grass, lay top soil and lawn seed or turf
2. A landscaper said he would rotovate it and lay seed
3. A lawn treatment company said they would aerate and scarifiy it before laying seed and maintain it for 1 year.

I cannot understand why they have all suggested different things, of course i am no expert. The top few inches of soil is very hard and dry, it is very lumpy. I have several types of grass that i have been trying to kill off including field grass.

The gardener said he would have to dig it all out as he didnt believe a rotovator would work. I think it would, and have been tempted to even start the job myself. Im also not sure how aerating and scarifying would remove all the dead grass.

Any suggestions would be great

Attachments

• 13662554_10153776011287005_659448778_o.jpg
    13662554_10153776011287005_659448778_o.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 432
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
If your no gardener then I'd suggest you take 3rd option but if your up for it and can get your hands on and operate a petrol mowers just getting it cut will make a big difference & by getting your hands dirty and doing it your self you could save heaps of money!. you could even just get a man with a mower to give it the first big cut then take it on your self from there with mower in hand once a week or two it would look lovely in know time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I would go for option 1 for 2 reasons. First, it looks to be the cheapest option. Second, your garden looks ugly because the grass has dried. But the fact that grass had grown that means the soil is still okay. Nevertheless, pulling all the grass and topping the ground with new soil is a good idea that would surely invigorate your lawn. But, of course, you have to provide new seeds for sowing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your yard is not that bad, mow it water it and feed it, its a nice size yard and a little hard work you can have a really great little yard.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well if it makes you feel any better, I consider my lawn to be one of the more ugly ones on the street where we live. It is just how it is, too, and most of it is really out of my control. It is strangely hilly in weird places, and there are patches that do not grow well. I knew that going in, though, so I really have nobody to blame but myself. I have not consulted a professional gardener yet, but that does sound like a good option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your yard doesn't look ugly at all, but just need a bit of tender loving care! Depending on how much each option costs, I think they sounds good. I am on a budget, and always on the side of do it myself, so I would have the grass cut up first, and water it for a while to see what would grow or need, and then go from there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mow it, apply weed and feed and see what happens. If it doesn't improve in a year then kill it off with something like Round UP and start over. Hire someone to rototill it and plant it using a top grade seed. Cheap seed contains a lot of weeds. Seed it in the fall or early spring but not the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I actually think the space could be super adorable - it's a cute little area!

The concrete path looks like it's in decent shape too. Honestly I think the biggest problem right now is just mowing it and getting rid of anything off the grassed area that you don't need anymore. Even once that's done I can already see it would make a big difference.

Ask a Question