Ugly gardens,tacky garden art and garden "fails"

Reaction score
Speaking of tacky garden stuff, what do you guys think of those vintage light up Santas? When my ex's mother went senile, my ex discarded her old plastic Santa and my daughter and I grabbed it. We're going to take him with us when we move. He kind of looks like this one. Plastic Santas are ugly but cute to me.

e5efd79c548f17d69cdfa0f3bae00a84.jpg

Reaction score
Ascapa...I didn't think anything could outdo the gnomes eating the flamingo. But that Christmas explosion....no officer, noooo! I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled to try to even contribute here. Nothing can top what you all have already put forth.

Reaction score
Um.... well from a distance he'd probably actually be cute, especially if surrounded by appropriate decor. But up close I find his eyes a little too beady for comfort :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really don't like plastic Santas because they're not only ugly, but they also remind me of Christmas:confused:

Look what I found, I don't even know how to call it. I guess it was supposed to be a statue:eek::

installation-small.jpg

Reaction score
Okay... I usually admire out of the box thinking and creativity. But this definitely has that "first year art student on a deadline" vibe to it.

Without the junk hanging on it, the red and blue painted root thing might actually be kind of interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lemonzest, I find that root scary. It looks like a weird creature that may try to attack you if you get too close to it, lol;) To me, it would be scary even without the junk hanging on it;)

Reaction score
Picture quality is a subjective quantity and so is garden art. My feeling about gardening in general is that it is an act of love and joy, an expression of the heart. Clearly, my heart beats a bit differently than other people's in terms of their choice of yard and garden artwork. If that's what they want put in their yard then so be it, I'm sure that some of my gardens and Christmas lights don't get a AAA rating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Firelily99, sure, I completely agree. Different people like different things and it's okay, it makes garden art even more interesting, because you never know what to expect. Some of decorations really aren't the prettiest though.

Check this out:

unexpected-gardening-decoration-1.jpg

I think that somebody really wanted to have something close to a fountain, haha:p

Reaction score
I agree that it's ugly, but the artwork on the horse is actually based on the work of a famous 20th century artist - Piet Mondrian. I'm not to keen on the original either.

Yeah, there are some things that look better in museums, I think. And even great artists may not be the best at designing living spaces.

Here's an article on Dali's house and garden, there are a few inspired ideas and quite a few... questionable choices.

http://manonthelam.com/salvador-dali-house-museum-cadaques-spain/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Those zombie gnomes are scary! If my neighbour put them in his garden, I would start avoiding him:p;)
How do you feel about this statue? It looks a little bit like Elvis:p:

2109f2.jpg

Reaction score
Hmm. I am shaking my head. I am not sure How I feel about having the King in my garden. I am old fashioned. I adorn my lawn, with bird bath, and fountains.

I had a Lion Fountain that went against the home entrance wall, It was shaped like a semi circle. It had 4 pot holders. I loved decorating it and putting different flowers each year.

Reaction score
Woooow. Well on the one hand it is pretty hideous. But on the other hand I instantly thought of three separate friends I would totally buy that as a Xmas gift for.

But I'm a pretty terrible friend XD

Reaction score
Wow, there are some pretty amusing tastes when it comes to yard art!
images

How about toilet planters? Who in their right mind thinks putting a toilet in their yard is a great idea? I posted the cuter picture of a toilet planter, but it is still rather gross. What do you think?

Ask a Question