Bodnant Gardens. North Wales

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Brought back so many happy memories! We have been there 3 times and it was only the last time that we went down to the far end as we were always in a rush to go somewhere else ... Amazing how many flowers there are already and it's only April!

Thank you for sharing..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We try to go at least once every month. Getting harder to cover all of the gardens these days. They have opened new areas and it now takes us about 2 hours to wander round. We did not manage to get up to the newest part (Furnace Hill), age and infirmity makes it hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How beautiful! I'm glad to see that the sun shined for you :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
age and infirmity makes it hard.

I know how it feels. But go there whilst you can. Who wants to be stuck in a house, clamped in by 4 walls. You're lucky that you have such a vast garden. We like Penryth Castle as well, just love the massive walls and the lovely details.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My virtual garden tour's third stop is Bodnant Garden in northern Wales.
A high vantage view of the Pin Mill, where I'm told pins were once made. Extraordinary.
bodnant_summer_2008_original.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It was indeed used to make pins, but not in the Gardens. It was bought and moved there by the original owners of the place. The familly still own it and live there for part of the year.
This was what we saw this autumn.
imgur.com/a/pKIlXc8

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bodnant does look like a most lovely garden, with wonderful Autumn colors and textures as well.

That is also a fine practice to rescue interesting or historic examples of architecture and move them to a more secure location. I've been to several cities that the have whole parks of historic houses and the like, that had to be relocated from their original sites.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There is a garden at a place called Consall Hall, private and only open for Weddings etc. The original owner used to buy up buildings and have them erected in the gardens. Sadly I cannot find the pictures I took when we went just before it closed to the public. THink the new owners may have got rid of a lot of them though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Heritage Park Row in San Diego, California is one example that comes to mind. Several ornate 'Victorian' homes from early in the city's history were expressly moved to a purpose-built cul-de-sac near Old Town. It makes a lovely attraction, and of course, the buildings can be re-purposed as museums or gift shops. Hopefully, this idea that will continue to spread.
San_Diego_Old_Town_-_Heritage_Park_-_Sherman-Gilbert_House_%281887%29_-_panoramio.jpg

Ask a Question