Knot Gardens...or not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Greetings...
I am new to this gardening forum. I joined in the 'introduction' section and all went well.

Then...I thought I'd share my wasp sting from hell story...but chose 'conversations'. Seemed logical.
Soon realized 'conversations' is akin to private messages. No comment. The good news is that I met a wonderful
new friend who was kind enough to humor me...since I was lost on the forums.

Anyhoo...all that aside. I have a smallish English Knot Garden. Planted it several years ago and have kind of
neglected it. We are all experiencing winter...some people are colder than others. I'm by the sea, in the middle of CA, so we aren't really suffering. I took advantage of a rather nice day about a week ago...to trim the neglected knot garden... and after five whole minutes, the wasp incident happened. Never been stung before. Don't want to be ever again.

So now, I am in a quandary about what to do with this knot garden. I know I probably shouldn't trim it until early Spring, which is pretty nice around here. I have watched videos and read many blogs about the 'over and under' way of trimming and acquiring the illusion of knots. It's been enough years and the boxwoods have grown together, so looking forward to some detailed trimming. The wasp...not sure what to do about that little monster.

Just curious if anyone else has a knot garden? If so, is there any way you can share your pictures? I think that they are fascinating. Formal and yet artsy. Most people plant succulent gardens around here...or palm trees. Not into palm trees. I love pines, but the drought did a number on ours and had to cut it down. I do have the obligatory succulent garden, but trying different things. I have three bags of purple alliums looking at me. They were on sale. Okay, just thought I would ask. Have a great day!!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just curious if anyone else has a knot garden? If so, is there any way you can share your pictures? I think that they are fascinating.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the only member we have that has one is @DeborahJane. I found a thread she started about it, and gave the link below. (y)

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/my-parterre-2012-to-2015.6271/

If you scroll up to the Search window (just above your avatar on the right side,) type in the word parterre, then where it says "Posted by member:" put in the name DeborahJane. It will show you the threads where she has mentioned it. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have lifted some pics of boxed garden like this

untitle8-jpg.26741

I am not sure if this is what you want. But have a look here if it strikes a cord please!

https://www.gardening-forums.com/th...please-upload-pics.10885/page-203#post-116828

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you like labour intensive garden or if you like them, why not? You can have a bit of free flowing design and a bit of restraint somewhere else. There is no right or wrong. Just ask yourself if you will like them 10 years from now.. Box blight can be quite a hassle though!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sparkles I don't personally own a Knot Garden But I do have a lot Of Box In my garden in Topiary form. I Like to trim them Often but lightly through out the growing season. I never go to hard on them unless they have grown to the point where The form will be lost if they get any bigger. I Have found Light pruning only in to the new Light Green growth Prompts More Growth And A Denser Box. If You prune in to last years growth that tends to Stunt growth on that plant till the following year( Disregard That if it is a Winter Trim UP). A one off Trim In winter Should not Be A problem If The Knot Garden Missed a late Tidy Up At the End of last Season. But then Little & often Is best . Would love To See It (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sparkles I don't personally own a Knot Garden But I do have a lot Of Box In my garden in Topiary form. I Like to trim them Often but lightly through out the growing season. I never go to hard on them unless they have grown to the point where The form will be lost if they get any bigger. I Have found Light pruning only in to the new Light Green growth Prompts More Growth And A Denser Box. If You prune in to last years growth that tends to Stunt growth on that plant till the following year( Disregard That if it is a Winter Trim UP). A one off Trim In winter Should not Be A problem If The Knot Garden Missed a late Tidy Up At the End of last Season. But then Little & often Is best . Would love To See It (y)

It's quite funny to see Daren capitalising like a German! :LOL: Just show that diversities are the spices of life!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
20180125_105537.jpg
If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the only member we have that has one is @DeborahJane. I found a thread she started about it, and gave the link below. (y)

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/my-parterre-2012-to-2015.6271/

If you scroll up to the Search window (just above your avatar on the right side,) type in the word parterre, then where it says "Posted by member:" put in the name DeborahJane. It will show you the threads where she has mentioned it. :)
My partere is suffering a bit with our Australian summer,, .lawn a bit sad but all will pick up again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
I would love to see your topiaries!!! I'm trying to figure out out to post pictures. If I do, it will be a miracle...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to see your topiaries!!! I'm trying to figure out out to post pictures. If I do, it will be a miracle...
I Have Not Taken Any Fresh Photos of it Lately As I'm Still Clearing Up the Autumn mess:eek: But If you Look In the Showcase( Look at top of Page & your See A Link to The Members Showcased Gardens Section. My Garden is listed there. You Should Be able To see Plenty of Photos Of the Topiary (y)

Ps The Easiest way to up load Photos Is to click the link at the Bottom of a new post that you are on. look for the Link Upload File

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Place a cursor here, type something, as Daren said, click

upload_2018-1-26_18-42-26.png

Are you using a pc or mac or phone? If you let us know, we will help you further. When I first started, I kept clicking the image icon next to the emoji, which got me nowhere!:LOL:

Ask a Question