One ugly tomato.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went ahead and pulled this tomato yesterday because my dog keeps eating them (she once ate an entire pumpkin). After looking at it up close, I realized why she hadn't touched it! Only half red and very funky looking! Anybody have a guess what kind it is? All my labels are gone.

Attachments

• 20170730_194520.jpg
    20170730_194520.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 20170730_194530.jpg
    20170730_194530.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 333
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I went ahead and pulled this tomato yesterday because my dog keeps eating them (she once ate an entire pumpkin). After looking at it up close, I realized why she hadn't touched it! Only half red and very funky looking! Anybody have a guess what kind it is? All my labels are gone.
I don't know the variety but it can happen to any. It is called catfacing and is caused by cool weather during blooming or fruitset. Sometimes 2 or more blooms stick together or on freshly set fruit and actually grow 2 tomatoes as one. Usually caused when temperatures go below 50F.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks like a beefsteak. I have several on my beefsteak vines that look similar, and I imagine from the unusually wet cool weather we've had here in the Northeast this season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Most of my tomatoes this year are cat faced. Cold nights and much rain is the cause. This is a poor year for tomatoes in my area. This happens I about once in ten.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Most of the tomatoes on one of my plant look like that, must be nearly 20 pounds of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I learned a new term today, thanks for the explainer on catface tomatoes. Many of mine are like that. Generally lousy year for tomatoes here too.
And my cherry tomatoes (sweet 100s and a round yellow variety) barely took off, plus they are really small even for cherry tomatoes.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I learned a new term today, thanks for the explainer on catface tomatoes. Many of mine are like that. Generally lousy year for tomatoes here too.
And my cherry tomatoes (sweet 100s and a round yellow variety) barely took off, plus they are really small even for cherry tomatoes.

Bet they're not as small as mine :D

DSCI0001.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
440 grams :) It's seed sent to me by a member in Bulgaria, she doesn't know the name of it, but her family have always grown them.

There's a bigger one still ripening in the greenhouse :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
440 grams :) It's seed sent to me by a member in Bulgaria, she doesn't know the name of it, but her family have always grown them.

There's a bigger one still ripening in the greenhouse :eek:
It think it is a Costoluto Genovese. Same size, same shape same color.

Ask a Question