Trying an experiment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I decided to try growing carrots in a container to (a). deal with weevils and (b). keep the malformation to a minimum. Let's just say that so far I am not impressed. The growth has been extremely slow, much less than I expected. It is a different variety than I used to grow so that may be part of it. I highly doubt I will do it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
You're mention of carrots prompted me to post. Doing the shopping in Sainsbury's on Thursday, I bought a pack of Chantenay carrots for all of 90p. ($1.14) Vegetables are relatively cheap compared to other foods in this country.

When we bought this house, half of our small garden was a vegetable plot. In the corner where our tea-house now sits, was an old cedar greenhouse.
We had some success with runner beans and potatoes, but little else in the veg plot. Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers grew well in the greenhouse.

Our house is built on the aluvial plain of the river Mersey and on the site of a former farm. The soil is free from stones and a bit sandy, so probably ideal for growing some varieties of veg, particularly carrots, but I never bothered. We had young kids, so we got rid of the veg. plot and when the kids left home, the greenhouse.

I was never into veg. gardening. It was a bit of a chore. I'm all for "low maintenance," when it comes to gardening, if there ever is such a thing. I've so many other hobbies I enjoy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Carrot root fly is such a problem on our allotments (it's the grubs which do the damage) that most grow them in rubbish bins (trash cans for you Yanks) with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.
This is because the flies cannot actually fly very high, and above approx. 2ft, is out of reach to lay their eggs.
It also helps avoid growing them in clay soil.
I grow many veg which can be bought cheaply at shops for three reasons:
1) I avoid all the chemicals sprayed by farmers, who are instructed to by supermarkets as condition of contract.
2) Flavour is far better in much home-grown produce.
3) Nutritional value of home grown produce can be twice that of shop bought, especially in nutrients and vitamins which oxidise (like vitamins B & C) because supermarkets, with their only aims being cosmetic perfection and shelf life, may have their veg on a shelf for a long time.

If finances are such that gaining the greatest financial return is an imperative, then you have my full support growing on price, but I am fortunate enough that my grow-your-own is a hobby, (one which may be very useful if circumstances change) one which more than pays its way, but a hobby nonetheless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is there a variety of carrot that can be grown in containers??? I have great soil for carrots, but I lose them in the weeds. They have to be one of the hardest vegetables to weed around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a variety of carrot that can be grown in containers??? I have great soil for carrots, but I lose them in the weeds. They have to be one of the hardest vegetables to weed around.
Showers grow their carrots in pots, & they are usually "Sweet Candle" but for we mortals, Nantes types for early sowing, Autumn Giant for maincrop in the UK; I'm afraid I'm not familiar with North American cultivars, but these are ordinary varieties in the UK, so just try your standard varieties.

Just fill the bins with material you know isn't infested, and take action against slugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've grown them in containers and they did fine. Nantes, danvers and a rainbow mix (don't know the actual variety, they were yellow, purple, white and orange). Also had some Parisians.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The rainbow mix is what I am trying. I thought my grand daughter would get a kick out of them. I guess maybe my potting mix wasn’t up to par if you had success with them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Carrot root fly is such a problem on our allotments (it's the grubs which do the damage) that most grow them in rubbish bins (trash cans for you Yanks) with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.
This is because the flies cannot actually fly very high, and above approx. 2ft, is out of reach to lay their eggs.
It also helps avoid growing them in clay soil.
I grow many veg which can be bought cheaply at shops for three reasons:
1) I avoid all the chemicals sprayed by farmers, who are instructed to by supermarkets as condition of contract.
2) Flavour is far better in much home-grown produce.
3) Nutritional value of home grown produce can be twice that of shop bought, especially in nutrients and vitamins which oxidise (like vitamins B & C) because supermarkets, with their only aims being cosmetic perfection and shelf life, may have their veg on a shelf for a long time.

If finances are such that gaining the greatest financial return is an imperative, then you have my full support growing on price, but I am fortunate enough that my grow-your-own is a hobby, (one which may be very useful if circumstances change) one which more than pays its way, but a hobby nonetheless.
You might look into ordering praying mantis egg cases. They are the Apex predators of the insect and arthropod world, and I do mean they eat everything in quantity, good or bad. They should love your carrot root maggot flies. Organic corn growers in the USA release them to get rid of army worms. No kidding!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to try growing carrots in a container to (a). deal with weevils and (b). keep the malformation to a minimum. Let's just say that so far I am not impressed. The growth has been extremely slow, much less than I expected. It is a different variety than I used to grow so that may be part of it. I highly doubt I will do it again.
Hi, what soil did you use. In a raised bed or container the soil can have a major effect on growth

Ask a Question