Condo Treasurer trying to stay ahead of "Gardener"!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Just joined and already have received the answer to the problem I posted. I haven't yet figured out how to update my Profile but I'm working on it (-:

I am on the board of a small condo project that just had our landscape upgraded with an irrigation system; and a timer, and the addition of new plants But the "Landscape" company we hired did a wholly unsatisfactory job, but we were able to claw back $1K of our investment from them after threatening to post pictures of their work on review sights and the BBB.

The "Gardener" we hired to maintain the project is responsive and a good worker but not very knowledgeable about plants or about how to keep them healthy and thriving.

I guess that's par for the course. I plan to tell him about this community in the hope that he will be able to find the answers he needs to maintain this project without having to monitor him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the Forums mikecox. :)

With respect may I suggest you find another gardener. If the person you have hired has little knowledge of plants and how to look after them, then he should not be in this line of work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Welcome to the Forums mikecox. :)

With respect may I suggest you find another gardener. If the person you have hired has little knowledge of plants and how to look after them, then he should not be in this line of work.
Thanks, Sheal,

I take your point but we have had 2 "Gardeners" willing to consider our project and while one seemed to know a little about caring for plants he was totally unreliable and didn't take direction well. At least our current one is reliable and willing to take direction. In talking with landscape companies we were told most professionals gardeners just are interested in maintaining landscapes in small complexes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just joined and already have received the answer to the problem I posted. I haven't yet figured out how to update my Profile but I'm working on it (-:

I am on the board of a small condo project that just had our landscape upgraded with an irrigation system; and a timer, and the addition of new plants But the "Landscape" company we hired did a wholly unsatisfactory job, but we were able to claw back $1K of our investment from them after threatening to post pictures of their work on review sights and the BBB.

The "Gardener" we hired to maintain the project is responsive and a good worker but not very knowledgeable about plants or about how to keep them healthy and thriving.

I guess that's par for the course. I plan to tell him about this community in the hope that he will be able to find the answers he needs to maintain this project without having to monitor him.
Just click on the dark green line where your screen name is, go to account preferences and fill out the blanks to update.

I hope the "landscaper" put in plants that grow well in your area. You might take pictures of the plants and I am sure someone on this forum will know all about them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Just click on the dark green line where your screen name is, go to account preferences and fill out the blanks to update.

I hope the "landscaper" put in plants that grow well in your area. You might take pictures of the plants and I am sure someone on this forum will know all about them.
Ok, I got it. Profile updated (-:

I will post some pictures of our sorry landscape at some point, mostly so I can get some ideas. I do believe the landscape company put in climate-appropriate plant, and plants that require equal amounts of water. There just was not much "Design".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, Sheal,

I take your point but we have had 2 "Gardeners" willing to consider our project and while one seemed to know a little about caring for plants he was totally unreliable and didn't take direction well. At least our current one is reliable and willing to take direction. In talking with landscape companies we were told most professionals gardeners just are interested in maintaining landscapes in small complexes.

Point taken Mike. :) If your gardener is willing to learn then that will benefit him and yourself in the future. We'll look forward to seeing your pictures.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they're condominiums, why not let the residents plant to their own tastes? I visited San Diego for several hours when I was young and was impressed with the mild climate and the impressive succulents people grew, especially Jade plants. Besides, I'll bet you'd get some happy vegetable growers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
People who submit to condominiums and homeowner's associations give up their individuality for groupthink and sell their freedom to 'insure' their property values. How much do you want for your own slavery?

It might not even work out as they think. From my point of view, unnecessary rules and by-laws make a property distinctly less valuable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Preach it! When I come into some money I'm buying a half acre or so in my grandparents' neighborhood in Texas and planting a huge vegetable garden and a patch of flax.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, but marigolds, which aren't as bad but are still just bad enough to drive off mosquitoes, are acceptable. Actually, marigolds have applications in herbal medicine, too. If the average condo buyer suddenly grows a brain cell I might be onto something.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Go for cheap plants. With most things the expensive ones are better, but with plants it usually means they are harder to grow, propagate and maintain, and there are plenty of cheap plants that look great. Sorry the advice is a bit general, but I know nothing of your climate or what is available, but $1,000 should get you an awful lot of good stuff. Small trees can be great for background, some have good flowers too, but avoid stuff that grows big and don't put them anywhere near buildings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JittyJohnser

Latest Threads