DSC05276.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Today's picking included cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, and the first corn of the season here. This first planting did not pollinate well, struggled to grow in cool weather, but the good news is it was bug free. There will be a lot more, several hundred ears more in fact, but the first is very special. Fortunately, none of the problems affect the taste which is out of this World.

corn first.JPG

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today's picking included cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, and the first corn of the season here. This first planting did not pollinate well, struggled to grow in cool weather, but the good news is it was bug free. There will be a lot more, several hundred ears more in fact, but the first is very special. Fortunately, none of the problems affect the taste which is out of this World.

View attachment 97247
Nothing beats the taste of the first picked corn!!! What is the name of the corn you grew?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Time to make pickles around here and no better place to start than with 4 dozen cucumbers picked fresh today. We make bread and butter, dill, and a relish spiced up with jalapeno peppers.

cucumbers.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Today's photo demonstrates one of the reasons I like to succession plant corn.

Notice the big difference between the first planting of corn shown front right, to the ear next to it from the second planting of corn which is just now coming in. First planting poorly pollinated and ears about 30% short of full. That first planting produced 8 dozen ears but I expect at least double that from the second and third plantings.

I checked the third planting also today and it looks perfect even better than the second planting. So, in addition to providing a continuous supply of fresh delicious corn all season, succession planting gives some protection against the elements which in this case was a colder than normal spring.

corn second.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If Heaven doesn't have sweet corn (and a grill), I don't want to go (just kidding, sort of) ...

corn grilled.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today was Bingo picking day. The bingo bean is a Borlotto-type pole bean with big, creamy green pods that are streaked in bright pinkish red, growing 5 inches long and ½ inch wide. Easy to shell, easy to grow they are a great tasting bean which I've been happily growing for several years. Should be far more widely used than it is here in the USA. A 16 ft long tressil produces plenty of beans.

View attachment 96807
Where do you get seeds to grow these meadow ?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've had that song "If heaven isn't a lot like Texas, I don't want to go" in my head all day for some reason...and decided Corn was a better fit, LOL.

Dodgers stadium, no thanks a lifelong StL Cardinal fan here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've had that song "If heaven isn't a lot like Texas, I don't want to go" in my head all day for some reason...and decided Corn was a better fit, LOL.

Dodgers stadium, no thanks a lifelong StL Cardinal fan here.
You must have missed the thing about the "nuns" being there. Really I'd rather you didn't look that one up. I take it back.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You must have missed the thing about the "nuns" being there. Really I'd rather you didn't look that one up. I take it back.
No, unfortunately, I did not miss that. I wish I had...just another straw in our crazy society today.

Ask a Question