Today's Pickings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Many seem to be posting threads, with photographs of their harvest, (and rightly so, as many are very impressive), so I hope you don't mind if I join in.

001_4.jpg

Another stone or so of rhubarb (I've used two stone for wine, have another stone in the freezer, made three batches of jam and lost count of how much I have given away) shows how poor a summer it's been weatherwise.
Usually rhubarb goes dormant here before the end of June, as temperatures rise, and, if lucky, we get a second flush in September as "summer" abates, but it's been so cold and wet this year, it's still growing.
The savoy cabbage on the left is approx. 3 lb and is destined for tonight's dinner, with the left-overs used to make a big batch of bubble & squeak, with home-grown onions and potatoes.
Then we have three courgettes (zucchini) to go with the dozen or so already in the fridge, 2 aubergines (my best attempt at growing them so far, as I'm well into double figures), 11 little cucumbers, delistar and superbel, all female varieties, with fine skins which mean no peeling, and a beautiful, if delicate flavour.
The bottom row has an ice-cream box crammed to overflowing with tomatoes; the standard ones are f1 Nimbus whilst the large cherry tomatoes are the delicious Maskotka, which I've posted about previously.
The beans fill and overflow from a 5 litre plastic tub. I'm picking this amount of them every day.
Rewarding feeling when harvesting I know!!Aesome

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Awww man! I ate my pickings already! Was tomatoes, I'll post the next ones should be ready tomorrow with this heat!
smhot.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Wow, the things you can learn here! Please Mrs., tell me what shishito peppers are--hot, sweet, growing requirements? This looks like being next year's experiment.
You have a wonderful harvest there. I hope you enjoy every bite!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks! Shishito peppers are new. Very popular in Japan. They are excellent tossed with olive oil and salt and either grilled or roasted till lightly charred. They say 1 in 1 are hot but I have eaten dozens and have yet to find a hot one. The first one hubby ate was hot! I have them in large boxes on my deck. They like lots of sun!

Ask a Question