Today's Pickings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
844982C9-8488-40E7-8A39-F737A754EBAE.jpeg
Made some green bean chutney 1 batch with sugar and salt 2nd batch with sweeteners and no salt hard to taste the difference at the min tbh
See how they taste in a few days I have a diabetic family member who loves there food so hopefully they can add chutney to there list :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
After the ten gallons that were downstairs, here is another 10 gallons. Becky took this better because she had made a lot of salsa, pottsfield pickles and other cannery, plus we gave to all the neighbors around us and my employees. I am hopeful that I can snipe enough to make sundried tomato recipes on my dehydrator. She who rules the kitchen is not keen on the idea.

IMG_20180809_135434.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After the ten gallons that were downstairs, here is another 10 gallons. Becky took this better because she had made a lot of salsa, pottsfield pickles and other cannery, plus we gave to all the neighbors around us and my employees. I am hopeful that I can snipe enough to make sundried tomato recipes on my dehydrator. She who rules the kitchen is not keen on the idea.

View attachment 42771
Sun dried toms are the business i wouldn’t do sun dried Toms by dehydration pending on the size of the toms your doing cut in to quarters or eighths grease prof tray tiny pinch of salt a sugar on each one then I little olive oil really low oven if gas just the pilot light will do for 18-24 hours into Kilmer jars topped with olive oil you can add garlic rosemary thyme anything . important thing is sterilising what ever receptacle your going to keep them in

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
24 September 2016 Dehydrating Tomatoes (Method)
Posted on September 24, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/September 2016/24 September 2016 Dehydrating/HTML 24 September 2016 Dehydrating (Method)
Dehydrating vegetables is often depicted as a major chore. The method presented here produces a powder which may be used in methods only limited by the imagination. I have used tomatoes for this example. The process is to beat the selected product into a slurry using a stand up blender or a hand blender. Depending upon the product it may be necessary to add a minimum mount of water, but usually the inherent juices are sufficient. The slurry is then poured into a teflon pan. The pan is greased with a layer of olive oil to prevent sticking. The pan is placed in a dehydrator set to about 135F. Drying takes about 8 hours, but it must be thoroughly dried, brittle is a reasonable test. The partially dried sheet should be lifted from the pan when about half dry to present more surface to the air. When thoroughly dry the sheet is broken into small pieces and pulse blended into a powder. The end product may be reconstituted in a soup or used as a sprinkled condiment. For storage the product is vacuum sealed and stored in the refrigerator or freezer or if absolutely dry at room temperature. Packages make a fine travel food.
dsc_388624%20september%202016%20dehydrating_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just more tomatoes. I am kinda glad it is winding down in the garden. I cannot reach the top of the okra anymore and there is only a bucket or so of tomatoes coming yet. I did find a cucumber that had hidden itself and was thankful for the variety.
IMG_20180817_180125.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Have you ever tried a fruit set spray?

Not. Just technology. In early May, I plant the seeds warm in plastic cups. When they germinate, I put it in the cold on the balcony, so as not to have rapid growth. In the middle of May I put plastic cups in the ground in the greenhouse. I am waiting for the roots to fill the entire plastic cups.

If the snow comes back, I can take it to the house. But at the end of May I take the plant out of plastic cups and plant it in the greenhouse. Then the plant gets rapid growth. I water a lot with warm water and make nettle fertilizer. Melon grows as it wants. But I leave on a watermelon 1 or 2 fruits. :)

amazing harvest!

Thanks @alp ! :)

Ask a Question