Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's a bit late. But yesterday, our laptop nearly got burnt out

Winter solstice
21st December 2016 Last updated at 10:46
In the UK, daylight on 21 December will last for an average of 7 hours, 49 minutes and 41 seconds.

It marks the start of longer days leading up to the summer solstice in June. In total, the day is 8 hours and 49 minutes shorter than the summer solstice.

The sun will rise in the UK at 08:04 and set at 15:54, with the official solstice occurring at precisely 10.44am today.

No wonder Logan gave the times sun rises and sets!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/38392137

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I drove a school bus for a few years before I retired. I started each morning in the dark and ended each afternoon in the dark during the winter. I use to savor the sky getting lighter by just a bit each day as I drove my morning run and staying lighter by just a bit as I drove my afternoon run. It made me feel like there was hope another Spring was coming!
WG20714lg.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes! I know the feeling. When I lived in London, 10pm was still full of light even far, far away. A weather man said in between a cold day with bright sunshine and a warm day with rain and overcast sky, he knew which one he liked. I like sunshine any day.

My doctor friend told his daughters that England was not sunny at 6 or 7 pm in the winter. He probably wanted to let them down slowly and gently that in winter, it would be funereal at 2.30pm.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just under 8 hours of sunlight in our town, according to Google. Feels like less than that sometimes!

Oh man, Alaskans getting only a handful of hours of sun per day? Must be tough!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, we are in the 9 to 10 hours of sunlight area also, but thanks to Colin sending us Blackie, we haven't had any sunshine today.
Ian, I can sympathize with you--when it's overcast, rainy, drizzly, foggy for a couple of days here I get a bad case of cabin fever. When the weather improves the cats come out of their shelter and are absolutely impossible to handle!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Ian though I am a Bama Boy by birth and current residence I did live in Alaska for about 15 years. One place had Sunrise after 10am and Sunset about 3:30pm. I never got used to it and had to leave. Plus I really missed trees.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
On this day the sun rises in the southeast, and sets in the south-west, describing the shortest arc in the sky. Over Moscow Sun will rise above the horizon at 8.57 and goes away at 15.58 Moscow time, the duration of the light day will be 7 hours.

For comparison, on the day of the summer solstice, June 22, the light day in Moscow lasts 17 hours 34 minutes.

It is also an ancient pagan holiday.
"Kolyada" is a winter solstice or the longest night of the year. During this period, the young Sun "Kolyada" replaces the old Sun "Svetovit".
Therefore, the light time of the day starts to increase from this day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Some cultures have the neatest sun related customs. I have always wanted to go back to the Mayan pyramid and drink a beer while watching the summer solstice sun crawl down the stairway that represents their fertility god snake . It would be really hot in the jungle in the middle of summer though, and I always seem to seek the coolness of the mountains that time of year.

Last edited:

Ask a Question