The MUCH anticipated event........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.....came to pass last night. The last "projected" frost date for my area. Now, the question begs......."David, do you REALLY believe their weather projection?"........the answer......"I've never been that drunk." Nevertheless, Spring and planting time is closer than it was yesterday. From here on out, I'm gonna be directing my attention more to, as Chuck advises.........ground temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you have a ground temp probe? I use one (although it isn't working right now... Batteries probably) and found it pretty surprising three temps I was getting. I was cooking some of my previous plants in the summer. Black pots in direct sun= bad! Winter temps are pretty warm hovering in the 60s. I imagine you are a little cooler in the winter but I wouldn't think by much. Although the coastal breeze tends to keep us 10-20 degrees warmer than some of the more inland areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haven't gotten one, yet........but I am considering putting down black plastic to facilitate a quicker soil warm up time. Since I, MOSTLY, plant in raised beds it would seem to be a no-brainer and would be easy enough to do.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sown carrots, radishes, beetroot and spring onions outside.

Tetters sparked up the propagator a few days back so got more seeds on the go in that too :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some seedlings are up already in the propagator :)

Ask a Question