JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's one of those days where there is so much life in my garden. One thing after another! Non-stop activity. I had to make a post about it. Almost all of this was taken within about ten minutes of each other. All of this was taken in the garden around my pond. I never even got out to my main native garden today.

First, I saw this Red-spotted Purple butterfly. It arrived yesterday and has been hanging out in the area ever since. I wasn't too happy with the photo I got of it yesterday, so I went over to it to get something better today. I still think they should be called Orange-spotted Blues.
IMG_3067 copy.jpg

While doing that, I saw a Carder bee resting on a leaf. I'm not too familiar with these, but they've been very common in my garden this year. They love Blue Giant Hyssop. The problem is, they chase other pollinators away. I frequently see them try to chase Monarchs away.

IMG_3024 copy.jpg

Right after that photo, I saw a Monarch resting on my Cardinal Flower, but before I could get a photo, a Hummingbird flew in and the Monarch flew away. I don't often get hummingbird photos, and I've been wanting to photograph them drinking from my Cardinal Flowers all summer.
IMG_3076 copy.jpg

The hummingbird left the Cardinal flower and flew to my Meadow Blazing Star for just a few seconds, which is what made me notice this Snowberry clearwing moth. I don't see these very often, so it was great to be able to photograph it. I photographed and watched it for about five minutes.
IMG_3112 copy.jpg

IMG_3218 copy.jpg

After that, I decided to photograph a Monarch. This time of year, they can almost always be found on my Mexican Sunflowers, and there were at least four or five there today. It makes me sad to think they'll soon all be gone and headed to Mexico for the winter.
IMG_3241 copy.jpg

Not long after, I found this pair mating and had to get a photo before going inside.
IMG_3270 copy.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wonderful pics! What joy and fun you must have had! Is that one above the butterflies a moth!? Huge!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonderful pics! What joy and fun you must have had! Is that one above the butterflies a moth!? Huge!

Yes, the one on my Blazing Star plant is a moth. It's not too big. I imagine it seems larger in the photos than it actually was. They're really cool. We have a few different species of them. Generally, they're all referred to as hummingbird moths because the somewhat resemble a hummingbird in the way they fly, since they have very fast wing flaps and hover at each flower. I don't get to see them nearly as much as I'd like.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the one on my Blazing Star plant is a moth. It's not too big. I imagine it seems larger in the photos than it actually was. They're really cool. We have a few different species of them. Generally, they're all referred to as hummingbird moths because the somewhat resemble a hummingbird in the way they fly, since they have very fast wing flaps and hover at each flower. I don't get to see them nearly as much as I'd like.

Lovely photos and stunning subject matters. It does look big with its lovely details on full display! Thank you for sharing. They JAZZED up the page and the day for me!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a video I took of the Snowberry Clearwing moth yesterday.

More magic today as I had a wave of about 30 Monarch butterflies this morning! I took some video of it.

While in the middle of that, a hummingbird flew up, so I figured I might as well get video of that, too.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Glad that you added some stills. Love the stills on the moths - stunning details!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Such wonderful clips and wildlife @JBtheExplorer .....very envious of your environment.....well at the moment, not too keen on your winter temps too much!!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:.....:cold::coldfeet:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
More magic today as I had a wave of about 30 Monarch butterflies this morning! I took some video of it.
The blazing star and mexican sunflower are on my list of must have plants for next year. I planted blazing star bulbs but they never did anything and I think they are the wrong variety. How much milkweed plant do you have growing? Thats a LOT of monarchs!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Beautiful, as always, JB!! (y)

Is that the Anise Hyssop the hummingbird goes to in between visits to the Cardinal flower? :unsure:

* Note to self: Must buy Cardinal flower seeds!! :D :geek:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The blazing star and mexican sunflower are on my list of must have plants for next year. I planted blazing star bulbs but they never did anything and I think they are the wrong variety. How much milkweed plant do you have growing? Thats a LOT of monarchs!

Meadow Blazing Star (Liatris ligulistylis) is the specie to have if you want to attract Monarchs. No other Liatris specie compares. It's known to be a Monarch magnet. I have a decent amount of milkweed, but they aren't here for that anymore. They're in migration mode. They desperately need nectar during their long journey to Mexico.

Beautiful, as always, JB!! (y)

Is that the Anise Hyssop the hummingbird goes to in between visits to the Cardinal flower? :unsure:

No, it's Great Blue Lobelia.

I have some Mexican Sunflowers this year and it seems everything loves them, including the hummingbirds.

They're a magnet for hummingbirds. Every couple minutes one or two will fly in.

not too keen on your winter temps too much!!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:.....:cold::coldfeet:

Don't remind me...

Ask a Question