"The Machines Taking Over The World."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Sage "Barista Touch" coffee machine. All too frequently it tells you it needs de-scaling. It doesn't, we're in a soft water area.
You can ignore it by pressing "remind me" and carry on using it.
But next time you use it, it does remind you and will keep on reminding you until you do what it tells you.
It's not like the dishwasher where you can stop it telling you it needs rinse aid or salt, if you don't use either by disabling those reminder lights
The only way to get the coffee machine to shut up, is to "pretend" to de-scale it by letting it do it, just with water.
Then at another time it'll tell you the brew head needs cleaning, or that it's short of water.

I'm reminded of this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I design and program complex automation assembly machinery (think those big lines with yellow or orange robots assembling cars) and my coffee maker shall only have ONE button. That ONE button may have a red indicator lamp in it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that with AI and 5G signal, the lamp posts and litter bins will soon be able to talk to you and spy on you as well - reporting back to ''headquarters'' at the same time. Avoid at all cost!
@Ruderunner Zigs has seen the film, but I haven't - perhaps I will. It is surprising how many seemingly far fetched ideas stem from films/books, and then we see this appearing in our everyday existences. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Indeed. Star Trek predicted cell phones, the Terminator movies are, were?, a little more far fetched. They're good action movies but the storyline is good if one is into dystopia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
T1 was great, T2 was OK, didn't really see any of the movies after that. The TV show Sarah Conner Chronicles was pretty good.

Try reading either Snowcrash or Ready Player 1.

Once we hit Blade Runner / Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep level we're screwed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What worries me is that all this is actually happening at the present time.... and.... it is not pretend. It is more like an actual evil which is affecting our daily existence, it has been creeping up on us by stealth, and it seems to have taken over the thinking of our young people. Worse still is the fact that a few wicked, ultra rich thieves are behind it all, pulling all the levers, whilst the vast majority of unsuspecting and trusting folks are blissfully (or otherwise) looking the other way.
How I worry for my kids, and their children.
We are in a state of false security, and I believe this will soon be only too clear. It is beyond a laugh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Yeah Tetters-Conspiracy-Theorist-Dude, I could crawl down that rabbit hole but that's the ancient farming practice thread. Most people don't realize how intertwined things are and how far digital tails go. You worry for your kids and their children - that's roughly the same cohort as me and my kids.

Facebook has been running all photos uploaded to it through a facial recognition system training algorithms for years which then get sold to police/military/surveillance systems. DNA ancestry companies have been building databases which have been subpoenaed for use by the same police/military/surveillance groups. And these are all bits of info we freely gave, or paid to give, to be used.

Meanwhile social engineering has been so heavily used against us in the last 5 to 10 years to train us not to trust or like our neighbors. Several American cities have burned with riots in the last few summers.

There's a Geoff Lawton quote I really like:

“You can solve all the world's problems in a garden.”​

=======

But back to the simple topic that Sean started:
My coffee maker only needs an OFF/ON switch
I don't need to start my car from my phone 3 miles away
My bike doesn't need electronic shifting
The towel dispenser in the bathroom doesn't need a motion detection sensor to activate a motor
My shoelaces don't need to be self-tying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two different ones, the coffee seems quite different if it goes in the percolator than it does through the filter. No fancy machines, all static equipment, hand powered other than heating the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our Sage Barista Touch coffee machine packed up last week, so we've temporarily gone back to the Smeg we had before.

The machine wouldn't turn on and all that came up on the screen was,

"Start Up error

Please contact Sage customer support

An error has occurred during start-up

Error Code, ER05."

Shows the power of the internet.

I just typed "ER05" into Google and it took me to,"Coffee Forum" where many posters had mentioned this fault. It's the steam sensor on which the milk jug sits. The advice was to waggle it as you turn it on. It worked for some but for as many it didn't.
As ours is still under its two-year guarantee, I phoned Sage and they are getting "Coffee Classics," to come to the house next week to fix it.

We aren't inconvenienced being without it as we still get our "coffee fix" every day.

Two plus points.

I haven't got to box it up and send it away.

The "help line" I think is in the Netherlands and the lady at the end of the line spoke perfect English and not as it was the other week when I contacted a really big company, an Indian man who tried to be helpful, but his accent was so hard to understand.
Not aided by the fact that he was obviously working from his home, as I could kids talking and a dog barking in the background, it was probably in the foothills of the Himalayas, as the line was so poor.

"I believe he works for a lot of big companies."

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Every morning my new coffee maker blinked a light on and off under "single". For a long time I thought it was winking at me letting me know it was single. But no, I found out it's refering to single cup. Time heals all wounds they say.. to this day I still can't drink a single cup of coffee without a little tear running down my face.

Ask a Question