Weed or small plant taking over my garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

First time poster here. Recently bought a new house and getting right into sorting out my garden.

I have a question regarding a small plant that seems to crop up all over my front garden. Mostly in the soil but lately coming up throughout the stones too. I can't quite figure out what it is. When it was smaller it looked like clover but it's since grown and changed shape so really no idea.

It's also spreading quite quickly so any advice on how to get rid of it would also be appreciated!

Photos below ranging from early life cycle to a few months old

weed1.jpg weed2.jpg weed3.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The 2nd one is a euphorbia and some people call that a plant. Euphorbias should be handled with care. The others are regular visitors to my garden. There is no way of getting rid of the critters!

Welcome to the forum, @ramageftw !

Reaction score
Country
United States
All three photos in the OP show seedlings of Sun Spurge (Euphorbia helioscopia), with the second shot also showing a flowering plant.
Euphorbia helioscopia is an annual spurge that is native throughout most Eurasia, as well as the British Isles, Japan, Taiwan, Hainan, and North Africa. Though it is considered a weed in some gardens, other gardeners welcome this striking Spring wildflower.
Like most Euphorbia this plant is toxic, though these same toxic compounds have also inspired a variety of purported medical uses.

Ask a Question