Taking over a friend's neglected tomato garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all! I'm Josh from Alabama. I have a friend that has a 24' x 24' beef steak tomato garden he is allowing me to take over (I believe 42 plants in about 6 rows) that he neglected completely after planting about 2 months ago. They are not staked and have branched out and tangled with each other layed all over the ground. There are TONS of tomatoes, but they are all rotted and covered in army worms. They are about 5' tall on average if I hold them up. How could I step by step restore this garden vertically and beautifully? This is my first year growing anything myself, so all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you! I can add pics tomorrow, and with help, could show progress pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Jdunbarr it`s nice to have you on board. What an exciting project...looking forward to your photos.
Initially, by the sounds of it, this will be a salvage job. If I had it to do, I would pick all of the tomatoes that look as if they had a chance and sort them out in order to use them - any that are not ripe can be ripened off the vine.
That way you would be able to have a clear up and decide what to grow for your next crop - and as @Chuck said (whilst I was writing this) that`s as long as you have continued use of the plot :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's letting me have continued use of it. I'd love to keep the tomatoes going though. Started picking the good ones as you recommended. How could I go about saving the existing plants? When I tried to stand all of a plant up on a stake and tie it all off together, it becomes just a massive, jumbled bush of mostly leaves. How much can I safely cut off without killing the plant? Got called into work today but I will send the pictures when I get off. Thank yall for such quick replies! @Tetters @Chuck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Being in Alabama, you can get a fall crop of tomatoes. Cut away the "suckers" (see three minute video below) and stake the plants as best you can. This time of year in Texas we cut the tomato plants back by about half, keep them watered, and wait for the cooler weather for the plants to set bloom and tomatoes. I suggest staking before cutting back because you are going to have some stem breakage, and why cut twice when you can cut once?
Good luck, and even the tomatoes that are damaged can be salvaged. Just cut away the bad part and make a chopped tomato salad with a simple vinagret dressing.

Ask a Question