How to naturally control growth overtaking lawn???

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a prolific growth of something that's overtaking the lawn and killing it. I only use organic fertilizers, etc. -- no chemical pesticides. Wondering if anyone can identify this and how I can get it under control without using toxic pesticides/glyphosate etc. Would welcome any advice.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4605.JPG
    IMG_4605.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4601.JPG
    IMG_4601.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_4603.JPG
    IMG_4603.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4604.JPG
    IMG_4604.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I imagine digging it up manually will fit the restrictions. You might overdose it with root stimulator, but that is basically what herbicides are, as in auxins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've got a prolific growth of something that's overtaking the lawn and killing it. I only use organic fertilizers, etc. -- no chemical pesticides. Wondering if anyone can identify this and how I can get it under control without using toxic pesticides/glyphosate etc. Would welcome any advice.

Many thanks in advance!
I hate to say it but you have a weed taking over your lawn that is known as Creeping Charlie. I know of no means of getting rid of it short of chemically killing your entire lawn and starting over. There may be something out there that I haven't heard of though. Some folks actually grow it as a ground cover.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate to say it but you have a weed taking over your lawn that is known as Creeping Charlie. I know of no means of getting rid of it short of chemically killing your entire lawn and starting over. There may be something out there that I haven't heard of though. Some folks actually grow it as a ground cover.
So sad to see hit this advice is what must happen!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This aroused my interest so I looked online and found this link on utube. It seems to work but some really nasty chemicals are used that supposedly doesn't kill the grass. And IIRC I read somewhere about using Borax incorrectly and causing boron toxicity in the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Darn. Maybe dig it out and restart in these areas ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Darn. Maybe dig it out and restart in these areas ...
CC is a type of mint. It spreads by seeds, by rhizomes and stem cuttings. The only way to dig it out would be to remove your soil. I think you would be better off just using chemicals, but even then what's to stop it from coming back at some other time?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. I wouldn't mind so much except that it's killing the grass. Wondering if seeding with more grass would help? The "Creeping Charlie" appears pretty resilient. It's just started in the past couple years -- almost 40 years without it. Strange. Not sure what conditions changed to encourage it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. I wouldn't mind so much except that it's killing the grass. Wondering if seeding with more grass would help? The "Creeping Charlie" appears pretty resilient. It's just started in the past couple years -- almost 40 years without it. Strange. Not sure what conditions changed to encourage it.
I doubt if reseeding would help. You will probably have to research which chemicals kill CC but does not harm grasses. IIRC Crossbow herbicide will work but not sure on this. There is really no feasible alternative that I can think off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The spreading bit by chopping with a mower or weed eater is what really spreads it. I have CC and another called Speedwell that both propagate by chopped parts. One borrowed piece of equipment, rented or otherwise for example and you are "infected" for all practical purposes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. More concerned about children and pets on lawn so want to avoid toxins. The weed eater is interesting as our gardener has used that a lot in these areas. I'll have him stop this. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. More concerned about children and pets on lawn so want to avoid toxins. The weed eater is interesting as our gardener has used that a lot in these areas. I'll have him stop this. Thanks!
It would take some thought and work but there is one way to solve the problem without chemicals. You could solarize a portion of your lawn and then another until it was gone and you would have new grass too.

Ask a Question