Help grass is taking over my green bean patch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am very new to gardening and decided to plant multiple rows of green beans. The sprouts came up great but so did the grass which is choking them out. At this point what is the best option to kill and remove the grass? I have about a 6 row plot of beans. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Flwpwr21 :) The only way to do this job successfully is to get down on hands and knees and use the finger and thumb method. A small gardening fork will help to loosen the roots.
Keeping the garden weed free during the growing season is always ultra important, and preparing the site thoroughly beforehand helps.
Old fashioned weeding is like therapy to earnest gardeners :joyful:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
A suggestion for next time...plant double rows. Three double rows instead of 6 singles. The bean plants will shade out the weeds/grass in the rows and overall weeding is much easier, IMO. Another suggestion would be to plant a cover crop this fall that will overwinter in your area and prevent much of the weed seed from ever germinating. And a third suggestion is to "throw dirt" up on the young plants when they are about 10 inches high or so and in the process bury many grasses/weeds as well as increase your own production.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
No and you never get up off your knees. :cool::cool::cool::cool:;);););)

An alternative. If grss persists. Lay down black polythene sheeting and sow through holes made in the sheeting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1625644208638.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shuffle/hula hoe is good for killing weeds and grass between the rows. With some practice you can get close to the plants leaving hand weed to just between the plants. I plant beans wide enough to run my tiller between the rows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Mulch or cultivate.

In my younger days I could weed a hundred ft. row of beans in 3-4 minutes with the flat pusher/puller hoe pushing. Yes, it's shop made of stainless, adjustable angle, and razor sharp on both leading and trailing edges.

Attachments

• garden  5-8-05.jpg
    garden 5-8-05.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 43
  • hoe flat 2009.jpg
    hoe flat 2009.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Mulch is best (after, of course, weeding. If you mulch with wood chippings, these actively suppress weeds and also conserve water, good for when they're producing.

Ask a Question