Staking up cabbages

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe this is common knowledge but I just may have figured out why I lost my cabbage harvest last year to rot.

The other morning, before going out of town, I noticed one of my cabbage had turned black. Uh oh. Today I went out into the garden and sure enough it was mush. The others looked ok except for one other. When I inspected that one, sure enough it was beginning to rot as well! Very depressing since these are the biggest cabbages I've grown.

I did notice during my inspection that some plants had water drain out of them. Hmm, standing water in the plants causing the rot? Sounds reasonable. So I staked my plants to make sure the stem is at the bottom.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sounds like black rot cabbage from the description (bacterial pathogen, Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris).

Rotation, removal of diseased plants, and no overhead watering are keys to control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, can't do much about the rain. I'm using soaker hoses this year.

Plants are in a different plot than last years attempt.

Just read your link and the symptoms don't match. No black rings in the stem, no blackening of the outer leaves. The second cabbage in question was harvested and after dissection was healthy other than the rot on one side and only a couple leaves deep.

Last edited:

Ask a Question