The different colors of roses

Reaction score
I was reading a book recently (the Newsoul series) that talked about a man that thought he had created blue roses but everyone said they were purple, and it got me thinking, roses come in such a huge array of different colors - what colors DON'T they come in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well, I've never seen an entirely green rose:LOL: I've seen a few with single green petals though.
One of the best things about roses is that they come in so many different colors and shapes, you can never be bored with them. They're my favorite plants!

Reaction score
I agree with Claudine, because I had never seen a green rose! I have never seen a grey one either, but we should wait for an expert in the matter to reply this thread and en-light us all :D:) I'm guessing there are blue and purple roses out there? As well as black ones, so I guess most colors are covered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There is a rose variety called "Grey Pearl", it's not entirely grey though, its color is somewhere between grey and pale pink. Here is a picture:

Personally, I don't like it. The color itself isn't that bad, but I prefer when flowers look more alive ;)

Reaction score
You're right Claudine and even though I would very much like to - I've never seen a green rose either :D

I too agree - that although roses come in a huge range of colors - there are still some colors missing and even though they've have tried to breed roses that come in some of those missing colors - like black, purple or blue for instance - none as yet have quite come true to color.

Purple seems to be doing the best so far - in terms of coming true to color and there are in fact quite a few purple roses around - but this one called " Ebb Tide " is the most popular

Rose - Ebb Tide.jpg

There are only a couple of black roses available and although they are called " black roses " they are not entirely black but very dark red - like this one which is the most popular and the best black rose to date " Black Baccara "

Rose - Black Baccara.jpg

The only supposedly blue rose to date is called " Blue Moon " - which as you can see is a long way off being blue - as it looks extremely lilac :D

Rose - Blue Moon 2.jpg

I'm think " Grey Pearl " is suffering from the same problem as well - especially as its not entirely grey or even silver :D

Tom

Reaction score
Speaking as a florist, not a grower, the greenest rose I have ever used is Supergreen. Quite an improvement from Limbo(leaning toward yellow) and Jade (white with green overcast). There is a gorgeous new rose called Early Grey and is remarkably close to a true grey rose with dusty pale purple overcast. Others in this neutral pallette are Amnesia (gorgeous dusty purple grey unlike any other color rose) and Little Silver (a spray rose). Blue Roses do not exist and blue as a color is notoriously absent from the world of cut flowers limited mostly to delph and hydrangea. Many other "blue" flowers from agapanthus, anenome, hyacinth and lisianthus and vanda orchids are all actually shades of purple that get called blue because of the unanswered demand for blue blooms. Black Roses are really just very very dark reds like Black Baccara and Black Magic. Turquoise is perhaps the rarest color for any flower(porcelain berry is the only thing I can think of) and if someone can develop a turquoise flower, I think they'd be rich.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The different colors of roses opened my eyes, I know about the usualy colors, red, yellow, pink and black. The picture of the dark purple is awesome to me as purple is my favorite color. I will be paying more attention to the color of roses when I am out looking at flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love roses in all possible colors:) The most unique miniature rose that I currently have is the one with pink and green flowers. I love it, because it's very unique.
Now, I dream of having an entirely black rose:)

Reaction score
Everyone's roses are so beautiful. When we bought this house it was in terrible shape along with the property. There were some overgrown roses in the middle of the yard and I took them out. I was on a mission to remove anything with thorns and decided the roses had to go. I now wish I had transplanted them somewhere in the lower back yard where I could maybe get to them later. Maybe I will grow roses again. They always did well for me.

Reaction score
I used to have a miniature green rose years ago. Don't remember what the variety was. I mean many years ago, like 20. It's my understanding there can't be true black roses because pollinators aren't attracted to black. True or false?

Reaction score
This is why got into folding origami paper roses. I really wanted to grow blue roses, but the varieties I saw weren't nearly as blue as I want. With origami, you can make any rose you want as long as there is paper that comes in that color :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, that's very true:) My boyfriend gave me a big bouquet of origami roses on the first anniversary of our first kiss:love: I still have them, they're dark pink and really beautiful:) It's one of the most wonderful gifts I've ever received.
The best thing about origami roses is that they can't wither:D

Reaction score
Haha, that's very true:) My boyfriend gave me a big bouquet of origami roses on the first anniversary of our first kiss:love: I still have them, they're dark pink and really beautiful:) It's one of the most wonderful gifts I've ever received.
The best thing about origami roses is that they can't wither:D

You're a very lucky girl. Those roses take a lot of work! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You're a very lucky girl. Those roses take a lot of work! :)
Yes I am:love: I know that my boyfriend spent a few days making them. He's so sweet and caring. It must have been a hard work. It makes me treasure them even more:)
Origami roses are beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have planted red, pink, and other colors of rosebushes for yard customers. I have not planted a white one.

Ask a Question