The 2018 Onion Growing Challenge

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I'd replanted them asap, as I thought they were sodden as soon as I watered them that time that Zigs warned me, but figured it would drain out easily. Maybe not :oops:. Fingers crossed they perk back up - I think most will be ok, but I'm starting backups tomorrow.

...even if they don't get big enough you'll have a very fat hubby
I think even 12 exhibition onions will only last me a week :LOL:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You may think he's joking, but I made Pissaladière last night - 1.5kg of onions cooked down to a pizza topping :D

20180216_194252_resized.jpg

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested - it's a good one for gardeners as it requires lots of onions and lots of fresh herbs :) http://blog.boden.co.uk/2011/07/what-were-cooking-french-street-food-pissaladiere/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My kelsae seeds are just now sprouting. I had tried to use old seeds but none germinated so I had to wait for new seeds and started over. That puts me about 10 weeks behind everyone else...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My kelsae seeds are just now sprouting. I had tried to use old seeds but none germinated so I had to wait for new seeds and started over. That puts me about 10 weeks behind everyone else...

At least they're on the go now :D. Such a shame the first ones didn't take.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I had seen this topic earlier.
If there's a competition next year, I'd love to take part, but my mate Arthur, with whom I used to compete, had to give up his allotment due to a family illness, and my sadness meant I didn't grow any fun onions this year.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We'll have one just for you Bees :)

Mine are not doing well, despite 4 large varieties, the normal sets are bigger than them :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We'll have one just for you Bees :)

Mine are not doing well, despite 4 large varieties, the normal sets are bigger than them :rolleyes:
I think, maybe, something happened this year that no one can explain. Of all the gardeners that I personally know, none of them including me could grow an onion. Back in January I set out 75 onion plants, 1015Y, and from the beginning they didn't grow as expected. None of them. The foliage was smaller than usual and not as tall. Never during the entire growing time did I ever have an onion plant with more than 3 leaves on it. They have all dried and fallen over now. I would say the largest one is maybe 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I can't explain it. The weather was great for onion growing. They just didn't grow. I wonder how wide spread this is? All of the onion plants the people set out that I know all originated from Dixondale Farms, Carrizo Springs Tx. In fact, I would say all of the onion plants that gardeners all over the world planted originated there. They are the worlds largest grower of onion plants and sell to everyone worldwide.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think it's a supply problem Chuck as some of mine are from seed saved by members

Kelsae...
DSCI0001 (7).JPG

Seed from the U.K.s biggest onion ..

DSCI0002 (2).JPG

And even the sets aren't doing very well ...

DSCI0003 (1).JPG

Combination of freezing weather followed by a month of drought hasn't helped.

The beds were limed and had compost dug in before planting :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't think it's a supply problem Chuck as some of mine are from seed saved by members

Kelsae...View attachment 39779

Seed from the U.K.s biggest onion ..

View attachment 39780

And even the sets aren't doing very well ...

View attachment 39781

Combination of freezing weather followed by a month of drought hasn't helped.

The beds were limed and had compost dug in before planting :(
Looks like my onions except your foliage is a LOT better than mine was. I didn't have any COLD weather and had plenty of rain early on. But since the end of May not a drop.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a mystery, but at least none of them got big enough to break me foot this year.

Don't hold out much hope for the show in August :(

Ask a Question