The 2018 Onion Growing Challenge

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Open to veg and flower growers alike. If you don't want to eat the onions plant them back in the flower bed for a lovely allium flower the following year :)

I'd normally recommend Kelsae seed but there seems to be a production problem this year.

Feel free to chose your own variety but i'd go with "The Exhibition"

http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/onion-s...MIwbus6JvV1wIVprXtCh21YAIREAQYAyABEgKoX_D_BwE

Starting this thread early so everyone has time to get seed before the traditional sowing day -Boxing Day.

You'll need a minimum temperature of 8C/46F

Plant out with protection in early spring .

Ground should be well fertilized before planting as it's NOT advisable to feed after planting as this can cause premature bolting.

Plants benefit from a cage support while growing, I usually make some out of Willow.

No prizes for this one other than the option to have the winning onion as your avatar for a month.

There will be First, Second and Third places.

As we're all in different growing zones, closing date will be when everyone who takes part is happy to weigh in with a picture of their heaviest onion on a scale.

Good luck everyone :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well Zigs, here in Texas one plants onion seeds in mid October so its a tad late for that. Is it permissible to plant onion plants in December which is the time we normally plant them. They should be ready by June or July.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, that's fine Chuck :)

We have to make allowances for the different zones :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Kelsae for me and from seed sown usually on Boxing Day or thereabouts.
Good idea for a friendly competition Zigs.
Will order my seed asap :)
Long growing season here and I know....or did know...of a guy who won awards for largest onions. IF he gives me some secrets I will be v confident ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Tjohn....it's the day after christmas day here. After a quiet day, Boxing Day is a day or activities, bargain hunting in the shops and the beginnings of new year resolutions.

The christmas period is ideal for sowing onion seed for maximum growing time and, therefore, max size :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank-you Verdun, I suppose I could have looked it up, but everyone is usually so helpful here, I thought I'd ask. It sounds like a fine tradition! Unfortunately, I am usually under 2 feet of snow by then, and it doesn't get up to 45 until at least May. My onions get ripe around September.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
An old lady one day gave me (btw, she had lived in this neighborhood since before it was a neighborhood) some onion plants, the variety of which I've yet to ID, so I planted them and they seemed to die, but as winter approached they sprouted and flourished. Since that time they have come back every time this time of year and last until mid spring.

This old lady died suddenly soon after giving me these plants; I didn't really know her well, but I can't help but to think she knew she wasn't going to be around much longer when she gave me these plants. She always had somethings growing in her backyard and I regret I didn't know her better.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, lovely legacy :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Look what I got through the post today :D.

20171129_114618_resized.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank-you Verdun, I suppose I could have looked it up, but everyone is usually so helpful here, I thought I'd ask. It sounds like a fine tradition! Unfortunately, I am usually under 2 feet of snow by then, and it doesn't get up to 45 until at least May. My onions get ripe around September.
:D:D:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
For anyone in North America whperron.com has Kelsae onion seeds. I just swed some of mine leftover from last year. If they don't germinate, I'll order more. I'm not that great at growing onions so I won't be competing but you can bet I'll be watching how everyone does :)

Whperron.com item 65-6668-010

Last edited:

Ask a Question