Tea Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've got 2 plants of root stock to bud HT roses on, just got to find how to do it. They were some suckers that i took from the roses in my garden last year.
Same method for making tree roses (standard roses to the Brits). My Dad did it all the tie and taught me. Get your root stock growing to where the stems are a few inches above where you want the graft. In the late summer, just before fall, cut about 3/4 to 1 inch pieces of stems from the rose you want to graft on, containing a dormant little red bud in the middle. (You can even use cut flower stems.) With a sharp knife (Dad swore by a sharpened piece of plastic, but I use stainless steel blade), split down the middle, so the bud is centered on one side and discard the other piece. Grab the corner of the bark and peel it off. The bud will come with it on the little saddle shaped piece. Immediately place it in a saucer of water or better still on the edge of your tongue. Cut a "T" shaped slit through the bark of the root stock where you want the graft - about twice as long as your cutting. Peel the top corners back enough to insert the cutting down into the slit behind the bark with the bud poking out through the middle of the vertical slit. Close it up and bind firmly above an below the bud to keep it closed tight against the stem. You can use the old style raffia, rubber bands or custom rubber grafting ties you can buy. Make you grafts so they point outwards in different directions for a nice even shaped result. Now wait until spring, when the tips of the root stock starts to sprout and grow, drawing sap up the stem. As soon as you see any sign of change in the grafted buds, cut off the top of the root stock an inch or two above it. Then the grafted buds will sprout. You may get a few duds once in a while, so I usually do an extra one, but you can also do more the next year to fill in. Incidentally, you can graft several different roses on one plant and if making tree roses, you can use climbers or ramblers to make cascading ones that hang over.

Ask a Question