Can you use instant coffee instead of coffee grounds on plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
When looking up how to care fo gardenias and other acid loving plants it says to add coffee grounds, is instant coffee too strong even if it's extremely diluted? I don't know where to get hold of coffee grounds, I do have peat moss that I use to make a potting mix for all of my other house plants is that generally enough acid until they are repotted or is it still beneficial to add coffee periodically?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some people say that coffee grounds should be composted first instead of being used neat. I do know that coffee grounds turn to happy breeding bed for mould.

Costa or Starbucks give away their coffee grounds. Apparently they have a label on the coffee grounds for gardeners to take away. Some reader even said he/she reused the grounds to make a free cup fo coffee! LOL!

Coffee is reported to raise the acid level and I was told that it could benefit acid loving plant such as blueberries, camellias, rhodos..

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Panda, please, believe me when I tell you that instant coffee is not coffee!! :sick:

When they tell you to use coffee grounds, they mean used coffee grounds. I'm sure if you were to ask at a local coffee shop, gas station, or even at a restaurant, they would probably save coffee grounds for you. :)

I found this, which may be helpful! :)

WikiHOW - How to Acidify soil said:
Use a fertilizer containing ammonia. In a lot of cases, all you need to do to acidify soil is use an ammonia-based fertilizer. Many of the fertilizers which are used for acid-loving plants contain ammonia sulfate or sulfur-coated urea.
  • Calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate should not be used as fertilizers, even if they do contain ammonia. These fertilizers actually raise the pH of your soil.[10]
https://www.wikihow.com/Acidify-Soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, you can, but, it is VERY fast acting and doesn't work long. I would not use it except for a quick pick me up on plants. I definitely won't drink it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any coffee grounds I obtain, I scatter throughout my in my garden. It is an excellent nutrient-rich organic matter.
Of course, when fresh it is not composted, but it does break down fairly quickly. People who hot compost should treat coffee grounds as a Nitrogen-rich 'Green', despite its dark brown color. Inquire at any establishment that sells brewed coffee, they may have grounds they can give you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry for the question, but does anyone have contacts from a coffee packaging company?
Not sure why you asked that. We are talking about recycling used coffee grounds, so a coffee packaging company would not be much use to you. They only have fresh coffee.

This is a good use for spent coffee grounds and there is a lot of it. The only other use I know is for making compressed fire logs. Smells great when they burn!

Ask a Question