Emergency! Coffee Tree cutting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all - I saved this tree (original owner said it was coffee teee) from a near death in 2012 and have loved it like a son since then. It has been living indoors with my mother in Montana for the past 2 years until this winter when she found the soil was infested with bugs. Not being able to take it outside to thoroughly treat it, we had to discard the tree. But she took a cutting off the very top and now I'm trying to get it it to root in Southern California. I used rooting hormone on the freshly cut tip and have it in a "Cactus, Palm & Citrus" potting soil which I know is not ideal but does contain a good amount of sand and perlite. I have been watering scarcely. It's sitting in the kitchen under a skylight getting indirect sunlight. However the leaves are starting to droop slightly and I'm worried I'm just going to watch it die over the next few weeks. Is there anything that I can do? If this dies, I will morn it like I've lost my only child. Yes that's ridiculous but it's accurate. Any resources or tips anyone can dispense would be greatly appreciated. I wish there was a hospital you could take plants to!
IMG_6617.JPG
IMG_6618.JPG
IMG_6619.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

How does the soil feel? I've never grown coffee plants myself, but it's my understanding that they like moist (but not overwatered) soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Colby. :)

It looks healthy to me. If where it's standing is it's usual place it could be that the leaves have turned towards the sunlight (looking at your third pic), perhaps all it needs is more light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Welcome! :)
An indispensable condition for rooting is a moist environment around the cuttings. It is formed when the vessel in which the rooting takes place is covered with a plastic bag. But do not close tightly, a little air should be. To do this, a small hole is cut through the package and the cuttings are sprayed through it during rooting, completely moistening the leaf plates. Planted cuttings put on diffused light.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! :)

How does the soil feel? I've never grown coffee plants myself, but it's my understanding that they like moist (but not overwatered) soil.

Hi Becky - you are correct, they do not like overly watered soil. The soil is moist. I am trying to avoid over watering as I hear that can inhibit root growth as well when growing from a cutting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! :)
An indispensable condition for rooting is a moist environment around the cuttings. It is formed when the vessel in which the rooting takes place is covered with a plastic bag. But do not close tightly, a little air should be. To do this, a small hole is cut through the package and the cuttings are sprayed through it during rooting, completely moistening the leaf plates. Planted cuttings put on diffused light.

UPDATE: At Larisa's recommendation I made a greenhouse out of 4 gallon ziplock baggies and put it outside in the heat to gather some humidity inside the bag. Bad idea. It got too much sun. I didn't think it would scorch through the baggies but it did. Two leaves are scorched pretty good and are very wilted. The leaf on the right is holding it's shape pretty well. We've moved it out of the sun into diffused sunlight. It's looking pretty sad but we're not giving up on this yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 368
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I'm sorry if I've explained it poorly. :oops: Again.
Diffused light is not the sun (and not the heat). For example, this is the northern window. The sun should not be where you put the cuttings for rooting.
So, I will show an example of fuchsia.
I prepared a plastic glass and made holes for draining the water. I love cuttings in a plastic glass, because I can observe the roots.
IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG

Then I take a plastic bag and put fuchsia into it.

IMG_3785.JPG

I tie the package, but I leave a hole in it.

IMG_3786.JPG

Then I spray some water.

IMG_3788.JPG

Now it looks like this. The hole must be open.

IMG_3789.JPG

You can also take a plastic bottle and cut off the bottom. Then cover the stalk and spray. The lid is not needed.

IMG_3794.JPG
IMG_3793.JPG

The sun shines here only early in the morning. Good luck! :)

Ask a Question