Instant privacy

mtp

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need help! My lovely backyard neighbors have placed a trampoline for their children practically in my backyard...I have some plantings in the area, but nothing that will provide the privacy I need now. I do not have the budget to put in privacy fencing...I need some advice with quick...and I mean QUICK and tall privacy plantings...wether annuals or perennials. I have a small budget. I also am a gardening novice. I was thinking of putting a trellis in some wine barrels with some fast growing plants...I am at a loss..help! and...I am zone 5

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
First, politely ask the neighbors to relocate the trampoline and tell them why.
If that fails, try a high raised bed (this one looks rather easy and cheap to make) and put your trellis in the bed, and a quick growing vine. Here is a link to the U. of Illinois with evergreen vines: http://extension.illinois.edu/vines/perennials.cfm
I wish you luck--at least the yard rats won't be bouncing around in the winter!
Sterling-House-Peoples-Garden-0037.jpg

mtp

Reaction score
Country
United States
First, politely ask the neighbors to relocate the trampoline and tell them why.
If that fails, try a high raised bed (this one looks rather easy and cheap to make) and put your trellis in the bed, and a quick growing vine. Here is a link to the U. of Illinois with evergreen vines: http://extension.illinois.edu/vines/perennials.cfm
I wish you luck--at least the yard rats won't be bouncing around in the winter!
Sterling-House-Peoples-Garden-0037.jpg

Ah! thanks so much! and believe it or not..the kids are out there in winter screaming at the tops of their lungs..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I would suggest telling your neighbors why the trampoline might be bothersome. If they are nice people, I can't see why they would have an issue. I can understand how it might be hard to approach a neighbor though. I would suggest looking into any sort of "vine" plants. Anything similar to grape vines are going to give you lots of privacy, but it will take some time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't know how you are going to make a cover to shield your home from that neighbor. But if I were you, I would place bougainville plants, those flowering plants with slender branches and thorns. They grow tall although I cannot say if it is that fast. What's good in bougainville is you can plant long cuttings so when the leaves sprout, you already have a tall plant. It is normally used here as natural fence to keep off intruders.

Ask a Question