Potted Plants for Privacy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looking for some potted, fast growing, low-maintenance plant suggestions to replace my red tips which are ~15 years old and have begun to die permanently, plus I'm tired of the leaves dropping several times a year.

Currently, my red tips are situated against my wooden fence, so the idea is to place replacement plants in pots/planters about three feet from the fence (about two and half feet from the red tips) so I can actually walk behind the privacy curtain and refresh and maintain my currently decaying wooden fence!

Ideally it's something that grows fast, and is easy to maintain with NO droppage of any kind. They can get as high as they like, and the portion of the yard they are in is full sun all year long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Clumping bamboo, especially the black stalked one, and they look great in pots. By using pots you could also use the invasive and cheaper bamboo.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bamboo (Bambusoideae, Poaceae) could be a fine choice for a conatiner-planted hedge, but expectations should be realistic. Large Bamboos will need frequent irrigation in containers, and bamboos, like virtually all plants, will drop some leaves and eventually require some pruning. Alternatively, you may be able to refresh your Red-tipped Photinia (Photinia x fraseri), also known as Red-robin, as thery are usually quite durable and easy-to-maintain plants. Of course, there is an additional issue about needing to access and repair a fence, so perhaps that will not work, though there are ways to replace a fence that do not require removal of all nearby vegetation.

Ask a Question