Wax Myrtle as privacy hedge

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking into purchasing a large lot of wax myrtle at auction to form a privacy hedge around our property. I have seen several websites indicate this is a good plant for the application and it can be spaced 5-6ft apart to form a thick hedge in a few years.

I was also recently told by a family member that after a few years they lose their leaves on the lower portions of the plant and will no longer provide privacy like a boxwood or holly. They seemed adamant that keeping them 5-10ft tall wouldn't make a difference.

Any quick advice would be appreciated. I live just south of the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas. Planning on several hundred feet of hedge, so I don't want to dig it all out in 5 years or miss a great auction deal for no reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

What conditions will it have once planted? Amount of sunlight, drainage, amount of water, etc?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone who lives in a similar climate to yours will chip in here. From what you've said it seems like you have the right conditions for it, but I have no personal experience because I live in a very different climate.

Ask a Question