When you VALUE your privacy......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
While cruising through some older phone photos, I came across this one taken two years ago, come Christmas, during the erection of our backyard privacy fence. That's one of our sons.......he's 6'1" tall. Where he is standing, the fence is 9' 10" high.
20170108_164110.jpg

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Great fence David. (y)

Even a 6' tall fence wouldn't last here on the valley side being soon blown over. At our previous house whilst Bron and I were only viewing with intention of buying the next door neighbour greeted us with "what are you going to do with this fence"? We hadn't even bought the house just looking at it and the low picket fence was in poor condition. We did buy the house and having very little spare money saved up and eventually got two guys in from a fence company who made a good job of erecting a 6' tall larchlap wooden fence but only half the length required; when we had saved enough money to have the rest of the fence erected these two guys refused due to our neighbours attitude; these neighbours were now against us because we had erected a tall fence and refused permission for us to go round to treat it. Over the next few years the fence kept blowing down so I decided to sort it once and for all.

I made new fence panels of 6" x 1" softwood on a 2" x 2" frame; 4" square posts replaced the previous 3" square posts these concreted in but I designed the fence allowing it to be secured with heavy through threaded rod and nuts; removing the top rods allowed each panel to hinge now I could treat them without needing permission from these neighbours.

Living here in our dream detached bungalow we still have hostile neighbours; Bron and I can't understand why neighbours prefer war to peace; we are quiet and polite always willing to help and be friendly but the couple next door wage war between themselves it's like having WW3 over the hedge; it became so bad we had to involve the police and now we have an open police case against them for harassment; what makes people like this who don't even like themselves?

I'd love such a fence as yours David to block these neighbours out but the wind would soon destroy it. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,

Great fence David. (y)

Even a 6' tall fence wouldn't last here on the valley side being soon blown over. At our previous house whilst Bron and I were only viewing with intention of buying the next door neighbour greeted us with "what are you going to do with this fence"? We hadn't even bought the house just looking at it and the low picket fence was in poor condition. We did buy the house and having very little spare money saved up and eventually got two guys in from a fence company who made a good job of erecting a 6' tall larchlap wooden fence but only half the length required; when we had saved enough money to have the rest of the fence erected these two guys refused due to our neighbours attitude; these neighbours were now against us because we had erected a tall fence and refused permission for us to go round to treat it. Over the next few years the fence kept blowing down so I decided to sort it once and for all.

I made new fence panels of 6" x 1" softwood on a 2" x 2" frame; 4" square posts replaced the previous 3" square posts these concreted in but I designed the fence allowing it to be secured with heavy through threaded rod and nuts; removing the top rods allowed each panel to hinge now I could treat them without needing permission from these neighbours.

Living here in our dream detached bungalow we still have hostile neighbours; Bron and I can't understand why neighbours prefer war to peace; we are quiet and polite always willing to help and be friendly but the couple next door wage war between themselves it's like having WW3 over the hedge; it became so bad we had to involve the police and now we have an open police case against them for harassment; what makes people like this who don't even like themselves?

I'd love such a fence as yours David to block these neighbours out but the wind would soon destroy it. :(

Kind regards, Colin.
Colin......I have, for YEARS, followed allotment forum and U.K news sites and have ALWAYS been appalled at the council's b.s. guidelines (like making you tear down a house you built because it's the thickness of a hair too tall) that you guys have to follow. You know what.....if my neighbors or "the council" are not paying my house payment, taxes or utility bills......I'm not asking their "permission" for nothing (course, thankful to have the freedom not to HAVE to be subjected to do such).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We hace to conform to the local building regs. here. So fences around the curtilage of our garden can't be more than six feet high. So that's what we've got.

However, the most vulnerable area of the averge semi is the gap between the house and the garage.

So we have this.

I bought a ready made door from B&Q and fitted the rest around it. As it sits on two courses of bricks, together with the trellis it's over eight feet high.

PICT0117.JPG

It's really just an imitation arch over the door as double 3" X 2" beams above the top of the fence continue behind the curved bit at the top.

PICT0118.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sean.......That's a GREAT fence. You know.....when the terrain is level, 6' does give a good amount of privacy but not so much when there is property elevation differences of 2+ feet. At 6', we would have STILL been able to see inside the house behind us and visa versa. Do like the way you are adding 2' of privacy with vegetation.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
do you ever ask why those regulations.?

The UK is a small country and we do need this kind of regulations so that our houses won't be blocked by next door's high fences. In fact, a lot of houses here are terraced and even back to back. So count your blessing when you have acres of land and unstoppable vistas. Very few lucky ones have those here. What @Sean Regan has done has maximised his privacy and yet he has shown respect for the law. Very few people have acres of land here in the UK. If I were @David from Dothan , I would build that fence as intruders can come armed... I will make sure I have the thorniest of plants such as pyracanthas all along..
images

Terraced and back to back houses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
LOL! No, Trump is a fan of WALLS!
Ha ha yes he is I believe it was apart of his manifesto I'd expect there is not the quantity of trees required to build his privacy fence nor the nails he would most likely want to nail it all together ;). Borders should look like the way you wish the world to be not the end of it:(. I know its a matter of fact the world now needs fences to protect the rich & for the thieves to hide there stash, but I'm doing my bit to change that In my own little way & if that means having a little moan about the nasty structures that cross our world then that is what I must do. In England they stop mister hedgehog from finding his misses, they stop the Animals of Africa from crossing the country in search of grass & block the sun on the wrong side of the fence your neighbour has it while you have to sit in the cold . This is the kind of world that is killing everything that lives within it. not the protector some wish or think it is . That's me moaning Done(y)

Ask a Question