Teamwork.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just for a bit of interest. A couple of days ago whilst digging up stumps in our rear garden I heard geese overhead; looking up I was amazed to see not just one but two "V" flight formations of these geese; I quickly pulled my camera out and managed a couple of distant shots as shown below before the geese disappeared from view; they were certainly making a lot of noise.

Here's a YouTube video which I found of interest explaining why geese fly in this formation. Unfortunately the human race now appears to be a selfish lot out for themselves rather than out to help each other.

Fortunately this excellent forum bucks the trend with unselfish members only too willing to help other members putting themselves out whilst adding information; suggestions and advice.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures but the geese can just be seen; I could hardly ask them to hang around whilst I took their picture. I've seen geese like this previously but never two formations flying together.

Kind regards, Colin.

Geese (1).JPG
Geese (2).JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Beautiful pictures, Colin. (y)

However, :sneaky: I contend that the award for Teamwork goes to the murmuration of the starlings! Scientists believe that they do this to help the flock avoid predators, it makes it harder for them to sight on a single target. Much like the way schooling fish make bait balls. (If you watch the periphery of this video, you'll see a bigger bird. :eek: :cautious:.)

I forget about this video until something reminds me. (And thank you!) :) Every time I watch it anew, I catch myself holding my breath!! They flow like a wave; it's aerial ballet. :love:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MaryMary; it's a shame I only had my cheap camera with me but I was pleased to take pictures of the two formations of geese because I've never seen this before. Many thanks for adding the starling video and as you Americans say "AWESOME" it truly is; this starling video reminded me of a similar video I saw many years ago with Bill Oddie presenting and what a delight; I found Bill on YouTube as seen here;

It's kind of you to ring the geese in the picture Rajesh; thank you.

Strange isn't it whilst so many people are chasing money the best things in life are free; love; friendship; loyalty; politeness; courtesy and compassion etc all of which cannot be bought for any amount of money.

Kind regards, Colin.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here's another video you might like, then! (y) It explains science of the V-formation a little more in depth. :geek:

And here is a video about "Father Goose," the first man to teach migration patterns to birds. This has been expanded on by people all over the world - teaching flight patterns to endangered migratory birds... helping them avoid cities and/or hunters! (y)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius, it said that in Colin's video. :)

I don't remember them talking about it in either of mine. In the first one, they did say they are not sure why the lead bird is chosen - whether it's the better navigator, or strongest flyer. I watched lots of "Flying with Birds" videos today, and in some, they all follow the plane. In others, the plane is part of the flock. :confused:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks MaryMary for adding the two additional videos; these two videos are truly magnificent and the second quite moving to witness man and wildlife in harmony together as of course it should be.

Kind regards, Colin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefcommander

Latest Threads