Stipa gigantea seed problem

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to germinate the stipa gigantea seeds collected fresh outside a hotel whilst on holiday.

I put them on a moist serviette and wrapped the whole thing in a clear little tub with a clear plastic bag. After a week or two, there was no movement, so I split the seeds open, only to see nothing there. Has anybody had any success germinating these seeds at all?

Please help as I so want to have one of them. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The hotel's flowers were probably from a landscaping nursery, which means they are likely hybrids which don't produce viable seed. You may have to order seeds from a grower.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The hotel's flowers were probably from a landscaping nursery, which means they are likely hybrids which don't produce viable seed. You may have to order seeds from a grower.

Do you know? I never thought of that. I picked quite a few somewhere else and couldn't find them. I tried to germinate these a month ago, but NOTHING happened. I tore open the seeds and felt them up and down, still nothing. I am beginning to think they are empty. I am trying another batch to see if the same happens. Thank you for the post, @Tjohn !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AidanBH

Latest Threads