Aerator for compost tea

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you need a special aerator to brew worm casting compost tea. I read on another thread that you need to get one that is powerful enough to create proper tea.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You need an air pump connected to the bottom end of some 1 to 2 inch pvc pipe built as a circulator so the air bubbles lift the water and as it falls out it comes out at an angle and swirls the water also. There are a bunch of simple ones on Youtube. This guy wastes the opportunity to circulate dead spots but that outlet being changed any angle but straight down would fix it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you need a special aerator to brew worm casting compost tea. I read on another thread that you need to get one that is powerful enough to create proper tea.

Thanks
What I do is use aquarium pumps and air stones, one pump for every two 5 gallon buckets and one large air stone for each bucket and 1/4" tubing. Works great even in the heat of central Texas. You must use some type of aerator because if you don't your tea will have no oxygen, thus no living microbes and this is a situation which causes your tea to become smelly. AACT or Actively Aerated Compost Tea doesn't have a bad odor and is a much better tea than the anaerobic type. Anaerobic tea, or tea with no living microbes is still good to put on plants but does not compare to AACT.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What I do is use aquarium pumps and air stones, one pump for every two 5 gallon buckets and one large air stone for each bucket and 1/4" tubing. Works great even in the heat of central Texas. You must use some type of aerator because if you don't your tea will have no oxygen, thus no living microbes and this is a situation which causes your tea to become smelly. AACT or Actively Aerated Compost Tea doesn't have a bad odor and is a much better tea than the anaerobic type. Anaerobic tea, or tea with no living microbes is still good to put on plants but does not compare to AACT.
@Chuck do you use a prepared inoculant or just your own compost? If you use your own compost, roughly how much by volume in a 5 gallon bucket and what type of containment bag if any do you place it in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck do you use a prepared inoculant or just your own compost? If you use your own compost, roughly how much by volume in a 5 gallon bucket and what type of containment bag if any do you place it in?
I do not use a prepared innoculant. I use my homemade compost, organic manure based pelleted fertilizer and garden soil as the base for the tea. I also use other amendments such as fish emulsion, liquid humus and most importantly molasses. Most but not all of the time I also add mycorrhizae. If some of my plants look as if they need something extra such as nitrogen or iron I will add either bloodmeal or iron or whatever the plant needs to the mix. I normally brew 40 gallons or 8 buckets at a time and give each plant 1 quart of tea per week and water it in if it doesn't rain. I do not use a containment bag unless I am going to spray the tea and then I just grab an old sock and fill it up with the dry ingredients and throw it into the bucket and then strain the tea again before using. The object of my tea is not to fertilize but to feed the soils micro-organisms but if I can feed the plant at the same time as the microbes why not? Both fungal and bacterial organisms are fed this way. Molasses is the most, IMO, important amendment you can add to tea. Microbes feed directly on it. There is a backside to molasses though. Microbes can multiply so rapidly, especially in hot weather, that the tea can go anaerobic if too much molasses is added and not enough air supplied. The amounts of each ingredient for the base materials is roughly 2 handfuls of each, amendments are normally 1-2 oz per bucket.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Chuck is right. You can follow his method. At one point I was fascinated by the making of compost tea. A lot of people suggest using airstones used in aquarium and using luke warm water and / or in a warm day, add unsulphured molasses and let it brew for hours. You can google youtube. There's a very loud American vlogging this method. I had found his videos interesting until he said he used shop bought top soil ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look here please as it just MIGHT be useful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If your soil is really good, it will have all the microbes, Trichoderma and micorrhyza it needs, but to get those microbes, etc. temporarily up to the level where they give plants that super boost, you could use soil, water fish emulsion (for the Trichoderma and micorrhyza) and molasses (for microbes etc.).

Ask a Question