Tall house plant suggestions with cats

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi - I have tall ceilings and looking to have a couple tall house plants. My top choice is the cane corn plant. However, research tells me not good if you have cats (if they chew on the leaves). Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Had plenty of cats over the years. And I have two very tall corn plants for the past 36 years, not one of my cats chewed on the leaves, did find when they were smaller one slept at the base. But later when he got bigger he could not fit so slept on the couch. No big deal. Like to add, cats are smart they know what they should not eat. And on that last sentence, once I gave them some Cool Whip--no one licked it. So I bought no more Cool Whip ever again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius that is kind of what I hoped with the cats.

Another question for you, will the canes grow taller over time? The corn plants stalks at my nursery are about 1-2 feet high. Woody appearance and look like the canes have been capped with a resin or similar. Will they grow taller if I put in big pot, good soil, fertilize etc?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The cut stems will not get any taller. Only the new growth with leaves. It will take many years for the new trunks to look like the cut ones IF the conditions are very greenhouse like. Temps in the upper 70s to 90 (including nights), virtually full sun 10 hours + per day, humidity above 85%. Very seldom in Minnesota.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius that is kind of what I hoped with the cats.

Another question for you, will the canes grow taller over time? The corn plants stalks at my nursery are about 1-2 feet high. Woody appearance and look like the canes have been capped with a resin or similar. Will they grow taller if I put in big pot, good soil, fertilize etc?
Mine are hitting the ceiling. And they do flower. We repotted both this past summer, larger pots, used just regular garden soil. Fertilizing??? not really, maybe a tiny bit once a year. And they do flower. The smell is strong, the flowers weep a clear solution, its sticky so if it hits your carpet hard to get . Smell is ok, it smells better further out it drifts from the plant. We think the trigger of flowering is when we turn the heat way down---going on vacation, and then after 2 weeks get back home and up the heat to normal. That the cold chill triggers the flowering. And a heavy watering before leaving on vacation. Seems to like drying out also. We did start with one pot, but "he" moved a stock to another pot and it took, so that is why two pots. If I think on it, will get pics . Later.

Ask a Question