Suggestions for a tallish/dense tree for privacy?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We're doing a remodel and our neighbor has asked if we could put a tree (or multiples) to create a bit of privacy between us, since our addition will now see into their yard.

We're located in northern CA (zip: 94061) and I could use some guidance on what to plant.

Some constraints:

• Ideally gets to 10-15 feet. Doesn't need to be much taller than that.
  • Looking for something that would grow quick
  • My strong preference is for a tree over some type of bush. And would love for it to have some color to it beyond green (if possible)
  • Bonus points if it bears fruit...we would love this if possible. We have a bunch of other fruit trees in our yard

Our gardener suggested the following, but I'm not sure they are a good fit (and it's unclear to me how quick they grow):

• English Laurel
  • Ligustrum J Texanum
  • Jiro (Fuyu) Persimmon

Would love any suggestions...thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome anikkar. :)

How close would the trees or shrubs be to the boundary and buildings - both yours and your neighbours? I'm thinking about future root spread.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How close would the trees or shrubs be to the boundary and buildings - both yours and your neighbours? I'm thinking about future root spread.

Great question. We'd like to plant them closer to the fence, so say 3-4' away from the property line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm thinking that something dense enough to be a real privacy screen would have to be a lot more dense than fruit trees, etc. I would suggest just bite the bullet and get arborvitae. They are narrow and erect growing so they won't take up much space and you can prune them if you want to, plus they have compact root systems. Low maintenance, just water and mite spray once a year. They grow quite fast, but you can get them from 3 to 10 ft tall already. Just need to plant them close enough so there's no big gaps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm familiar with those...I'm lukewarm on those, but you may be right, there may not be good fruit trees.

The thing I don't like about the arborvitae is that they are tall and narrow and I'd love for something that looks more like a traditional tree (more mushroom shaped)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes...the fence is ~6-7'

It's more about blocking the view to the second story addition, but it doesn't need to be a full block, more obstructing/breaking up the view.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Our gardener suggested the following, but I'm not sure they are a good fit (and it's unclear to me how quick they grow):

• English Laurel
  • Ligustrum J Texanum
  • Jiro (Fuyu) Persimmon

Laurel and Ligustrum are generally used for hedging and although good for screening they would need pruning regularly. They are difficult to remove at a later point if it becomes necessary. The Persimmon is deciduous so wouldn't give screening during the winter months.

With respect to those who have mentioned them. It always worries me when arborvitae is suggested, particularly when close to buildings. The root spread can often be the same as the tree's height as it matures, and knowing they seek water, can damage utility pipework and foundations in search of it. I know this from experience and have suffered the cost of replacement/repairs. The link below may be of some help...

I'm not aware of your climate conditions and would find it difficult to suggest plants. But this idea of pleached trees in the link below may be worth a thought as your preference is for screening at second storey height.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not aware of your climate conditions and would find it difficult to suggest plants. But this idea of pleached trees in the link below may be worth a thought as your preference is for screening at second storey height.

I'm in Northern California...zip code is: 94061

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Viburnum has good flowers (Pom pom tree), I have no idea how it would do in your climate. It is relatively low growing. It is deciduous, but quite dense in its habit, so it would break up the view a bit even in winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Crazy idea...could I do an Avocado tree?

My understanding is that they can grow tall, I'm in the right plant hardness range (I'm 9b), but I'm in Northern California which gets a bit colder than southern california.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Zipcode 94061 - Redwood City California is in Hardiness Zones 10a and 9b​

Magnolia may work. You are warmer than this european website is generally accustomed too though many are further south.

Plus you better understand if your climate is influenced by the land mass (continental) or the ocean.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
They can be pricey, but there are some pretty cool varieties of bamboo that might work- I'm sure there are nurseries closer to where you're at, but Davis Bamboo is great and the owner is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable:

Ask a Question