Suggestions for a tallish/dense tree for privacy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Skip the avocado, you’re too cold for it to do well. Magnolias work, even deciduous ones. You could use Toyon, Heteromeles arbutifolia, it’s a native that has nice white flowers in the spring and red berries in the winter. Another nice native is Madrone, Arbutus menziesii. Nice pink/white flowers in the spring, also red berries, and awesome smooth red bark.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm familiar with those...I'm lukewarm on those, but you may be right, there may not be good fruit trees.

The thing I don't like about the arborvitae is that they are tall and narrow and I'd love for something that looks more like a traditional tree (more mushroom shaped)
I needed privacy on my property by my driveway. I bought 25 Green Giant arborvitae. They were 12" tall when I bought them 8 years ago. They are now 20-25' tall. Christmas tree shaped. not narrow. They are also deer resistant. (we have MANY) My wife & I, decided this year, to open a nursery. Our 1st thing to sell? Green Giant Arborvitae. If you can wait a couple years, buy 12-18" trees. We sell ours for $10.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Skip the avocado, you’re too cold for it to do well. Magnolias work, even deciduous ones. You could use Toyon, Heteromeles arbutifolia, it’s a native that has nice white flowers in the spring and red berries in the winter. Another nice native is Madrone, Arbutus menziesii. Nice pink/white flowers in the spring, also red berries, and awesome smooth red bark.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the floral aspect of the Magnolias. Of the ones listed, which grows the fastest? I'm not sure what the max size I can get from a local nursery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Magnolia x soulangeana varieties grow reasonably quickly without getting enormous. Evergreen Magnolias all get big, even the ones with small leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah, they’re not invasive there. You could look up what they recommend as substitutes for Bradford Pears back east and use one of those if you want.

Ask a Question