Shrub/Perennial Suggestions Needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's an area of our lawn that tends to get a little soggy. Not "standing water all the time" soggy, but a bit squishy, especially after a day of rain. I'd like to clear out the rye grass from that section of lawn and plant a bunch of shrubs and perennials that will do well in wet soils with a high clay content. I'm in New York's Hudson Valley (zone 6). This side of the lawn gets some direct sun in the morning, a good amount of shade in the afternoon and then a bit of late afternoon/early evening sun in the warm weather months.

The requirements here are obviously that they be suitable for wet soil, and must be deer resistant. We have LOTS of hungry deer around here. I'd love to attract as many bees, butterflies and birds as possible, so flowering is a plus. Height can be anything from 1-2 ft tall up to 12-15 ft tall. I've done a bit of research and have some plants in mind, but would love to get input here. I'm not too up on shrubs (more of a tree and ground cover guy up till now).

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are some nice small, ornamental, weeping willows. Be careful, they are often grafted onto a normal root so anything sprouting from the base becomes a full size willow tree given the chance.

Ask a Question