Zero maintenance shrubs/flowers/perennials to plant? (for a gardening idiot)

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife and I have recently moved into a rental house that has a massive flower bed (over 250 feet in total length) which is up to us to do what we want with it. There are a few trees/shrubs planted at the corners but the middle portions are mostly bare or have a few dead/dying plants. It's far too much space to keep up with mulching. Neither of us are into landscaping or gardening, so we don't want to spend our time doing maintenance. On top of that, neither of knows anything about gardening, aside from that things need to be watered from time to time. We are looking for some plants to give some ground cover. We're not looking to create anything manicured, but just cover up the ugly/bare gaps.

Can anyone make suggestions on any flowers/plants/shrubs that you can plant and pretty much forget about (i.e. no trimming)? Should be small-ish in size...not taller/wider than a few feet. Anything that has some color, isn't too large and doesn't need to be pruned. A few perennials would be nice. Would like plants that do well spring through fall.

I guess I really don't know what I want need except...no pruning.

TIA!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am zone 6 or 7...not entirely sure based on looking at map...best guess is 7a.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No succulents or cactus then. I would put some Japanese boxwood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hostas, huge variety, hardy, practically maintenance-free, fine in deep shade but do ok in sun or part sun.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/landscaping/hostas/
Leafy color all during the growing season and most have lovely flowers from mid summer through fall. I love my hostas. :love:

Mint (spreads, flowers, pollinator-friendly, zero maintenance, may take over your yard.) Butterfly bushes. Blackeyed susans, coneflower, shasta daisies, milkweed, vinca, bishops weed...all sturdy, no maintenance perennials that look good all season.

Really your best bet is a visit to a garden center (NOT big box store) and see what they have for perennials. You have a ton of choices, and this is the perfect time of year to plant perennials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good advice from @Beth_B (y) I'd add in some shrubs too - maybe something evergreen so that you don't need to worry about leaves. Vibernum, pyracantha, holly (a variegated one would be nice), and heather would all be good options.

Oh and welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are many varieties that won't need to be shown to much love. I think my best tip in judging what plants will work in your area is to see what tends to be planted on council strips, by this I mean the plants you see on the side of the road used to beautify your area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hostas tend to suffer slug damage.

Michaelmas daisy are pretty bomb proof, they are usually tall and will look good at the back of the bed. Bees and stuff love them in the autumn, they are perennial, if you leave the dead heads of things like this they are attractive to seed eating birds in winter.

Rudebeckia has big orange and yellow daisy like flowers and similar properties.

Verbena bonariensis is tall, a good butterfly plant, and will self seed.

As you get shorter near the front of the bed in a place that is more accessible consider some bulbs and corms, daffodil and tulip, but also crocus for early spring and autumn and hyacinth. for scent. Snow drops are great to see first thing straight after winter.

Primroses, and their cultivated forms are good early, and perennial.

Forget-me-nots are popular and easy, but seed everywhere and get smaller flowers each year.

The odd vegetable can be worth it, globe artichokes are spectacular and grow large, perennials. The odd red cabbage or sprouting broccoli needn't look too out of place. If you have a fence backing it, or are willing to make a bamboo wigwam, climbing beans can be attractive, red, white and violet flowers

Marigolds, either type, are pretty easy and a good splash of colour.

There are loads and loads of plants that are easy and good looking. Do people have open gardens round your way at all? It is a well organised thing around here, people make a small charge for charity and open their garden for a few days. The other thing is nurseries, there are several near us that have a beautiful garden attached. Don't get carried away and buy stuff straight off though, make notes, go home and look it up. Some things are annual, and some are not easy for various reasons. Nurseries make a living selling plants because so many die.

After thought lavenders come in a variety of sizes and blues and smell good.

Last edited:

Ask a Question