Indoor plant maintenance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey gals and guys! How do you care for your indoor plants leaves (if you do that is)? I ask out of curiosity...I'm always looking to pick up tips and tricks. Dust and and debris builds up on your houseplants the same as it does on your furniture and shelves. This build up directly affects your plants photosynthesis which then directly affects your plants health. There are pores on all leaves called stomata that open and close to allow the intake of carbon dioxide and the release of oxygen. This gas exchange is what powers photosynthesis.
LEAF STOMATA
leaf_stoma.jpg

I use miracle gro plant cleaner/shiner on my gardenias because the leaves on these plants are so stunning. Shining them up a little bit really makes them pop and makes them happy. Plus, it's a great time to inspect your plants for any nasty little parasites.

20151108_101037.jpg
20151108_110855.jpg
20151108_114349.jpg
20151108_122658.jpg
20151108_124419.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our caring for indoor plants is the normal way of giving it sunshine at least one day a week and enough water, of course. When they are out in the backyard, we give them fertilizer or sometimes compost to boost their health. But our trick is in having a backup. Our decorative plants inside the house called Welcome Plant has a backup that is outside the house. Those backups are healthy because they have complete sunshine and water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have any indoor plants since my house can't seem to get any sun light in, also we have a dog. Your leaves look so beautiful and shiny!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, your gardenias leaves look so healthy and shiny! They're flawless.
I sometimes wash my plants leaves with water and dishsoap. It kills those nasty spider mites.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wash the leaves with diluted dishwashing liquid to remove the dust and at that time I check the leaves for any little bugs that maybe growing on the leaves like spiders or aphids. I feed them once every 6 months and give them lots of sunshine if they require direct light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Claudine you made my gardenias blush..they thank you for the compliment. I use dishsoap and warm water on the rest of my plants, same as you gals. My gardenias get special treatment because they are my favorites (don't tell my other plants :censored:). Even without the flowers they are gorgeous plants with those shiny leaves. Add the beautiful flowers with the intense fragrant they are unreal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't have any indoor plants since my house can't seem to get any sun light in, also we have a dog. Your leaves look so beautiful and shiny!
Do you live deep in a forest Icy? No sunshine would kill me :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you live deep in a forest Icy? No sunshine would kill me :(

No, no deep forest for me! I tried that for 10 years up north and it wasn't my thing. It nearly killed me :) I am in Metro Detroit (the tough, rough and well-known city, LOL) ! I can see the sun when it is out but since the overhang all around the house is deep, direct sun light can't reach our windows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the sheen on your gardenias Java Guy. How would that work on an aspiditra do you think?
I did some research on the plant you are wondering about. I think it would work great. From what I can tell, they have leathery, hard leaves right? What I mean is, they are not covered in little hairs or velvety? I couldn't use it on my pink wild pear because there are fine hairs on the leaves. The leaf texture on an aspidistra reminds me a lot like those on my moms snake plant which this stuff works great on. Don't tell her, but I took this bottle from my moms house :sneaky:

20151110_155553[1].jpg
20151110_160004_005[1].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No, no deep forest for me! I tried that for 10 years up north and it wasn't my thing. It nearly killed me :) I am in Metro Detroit (the tough, rough and well-known city, LOL) ! I can see the sun when it is out but since the overhang all around the house is deep, direct sun light can't reach our windows.
I'm about an hour south west of ya then. My ex gf lived in Lincoln Park so many trips to the area last year. I'll be up there for some Red Wings games and apparently, thanks to Claudine's green house post, I'll be going to the Ikea in Canton soon. I like the country, but I couldn't live up north either. That's another world and not for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This morning we had repotted 2 new plants for indoor. That is the welcome plant that we decorate our living room with. We now have 4 pots in reserve outside. We only let a plant stay for 1 week indoors and have it replaced by the reserves so it can get the proper sunning. When Christmas comes, those 4 reserves can be used as gifts to anyone who is fond of indoor plants.

Ask a Question